Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

create an apple id for a child over 13

How do you create an apple id for a child over 13 years old?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Oct 11, 2016 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2016 7:39 PM

Need to create an apple id for my 16 year old. I did one for my 11 year old and that was easy since the system allows it under 13 years old. Cannot seem to find a solution for my older child. Want to keep both under my iTunes account.

Thanks

13 replies

Apr 10, 2017 2:06 PM in response to gail from maine

My child is over 13 but under 18. Despite the advice given, there currently seems to be absolutely no way to turn on ask to buy for a child over 13. The only options are to create an account for a child under 13 (my child, over 13 already has an apple id) or to choose an existing apple id. When I choose the existing apple ID, it never gives me an option to turn on ask to buy. Maybe things have changed since this post. Using iOS 10.3.1 on 4/10/17. I tried this both from my phone and from iTunes on my computer. Neither worked.

Oct 11, 2016 8:50 PM in response to 33gorilla

OK, so you just need to invite your older child to join the Family Sharing Group. You would do that on your Mac by going to >System Preferences>iCloud, click on Manage Family, then click on the Plus Sign at the bottom of the window:

User uploaded file

Once you click on the plus sign, you will see the window where you can enter your older child's Apple ID. When you click on Continue, you will have the opportunity to turn on Ask to Buy before sending the invitation. Your older child would then accept the invitation, and they would be set up in Family Sharing the same way as your younger child.

Cheers,

GB

Oct 11, 2016 7:44 PM in response to 33gorilla

Do you mean you are using Family Sharing? Because your iTunes account is your Apple ID. The Apple ID you created for your 11 year old is a separate ID.

You set up the ID for your older child by going to: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create.

If I have misunderstood what info you are looking for, post back and we will try to sort it out!

Cheers,

GB

Oct 11, 2016 7:44 PM in response to 33gorilla

Do you mean you are using Family Sharing? Because your iTunes account is your Apple ID. The Apple ID you created for your 11 year old is a separate ID.

You set up the ID for your older child by going to: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create.

If I have misunderstood what info you are looking for, post back and we will try to sort it out!

Cheers,

GB

create an apple id for a child over 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.