Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel Documents Keep Opening as 'Read Only'

Recently I've been having trouble with Microsoft Excel (2016). Whenever I try and open previous saved files, they automatically open to 'read only' format. I am not sure why this is, if it was before an software or OS update. I have looked on various forums discussing this topic, but cannot find an answer.

My documents are not saved with foreign characters (/, - , etc) so that is not the problem. I have also tried 'Save As' and seeing if the 'read only' box was clicked. Nothing. I cannot even seem to copy or save these documents as a new document. I am having this problem with both .xls and .xlsx files.

Also, when trying to open some of these, I get a pop-up box saying that these files may contain 'Macros', asking if I want to disable or allow these 'Macros'. I am unsure what these means. Please help!!!

Microsoft Excel

Posted on Oct 12, 2016 9:34 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2016 9:40 AM in response to sterling r

Sterling r,

I have already tried this route. In the 'Get Info' section, the 'Read Only' box is unchecked yet I still am unable to access my excel files. After some more troubleshooting, I think the problem is in my External Harddrive (Seagate) which is where I keep my Excel and Word documents. My hard drive is suppose to be compatible for both Microsoft and Apple, yet I think something happened recently where I either updated software or the OS on my Mac so now I cannot access these files, as my computer thinks they are Microsoft-based, thus the 'Read Only'. I seem to have no trouble accessing these files when saved to my Mac SSD, only my external HD.

Oct 13, 2016 8:06 PM in response to mslada

If your external drive uses Microsoft proprietary Window New Technology File System (NTFS) -- The Mac can Read, but cannot Write any files placed there. There are several third-party add-ons that are willing to write to NTFS drives.

Most Mac users simple re-initailize the drive for Ex-FAT, which can be read and written by both without issue.

Excel Documents Keep Opening as 'Read Only'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.