Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 7 plus battery drain, do not go standby, standby same with usage

Hi.

My iphone 7 plus has battery drain issues. I requested replacement and it came today. So far the standby sometimes same with usage but I did not check it yet since it is new, but I realised that after i restart my phone problem disappears but suddenly starts again. I have no idea which app or what causes the problem since I tried to reset it sometimes it happens right after the reset ( today it happened when i started my new replacement phone).

PS. I used both ios 10.0.1 and ios 10.1 beta 1. Problem is not there with my iphone 6s plus on both of those operating systems, but it has the same issue on my 7 plus even though all apps are the same.

I would appreciate if anyone could help.

Thanks.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2016 5:08 PM

22 replies

Jan 20, 2017 10:19 AM in response to dseyit

This is the 4th phone in a row with the same problem. I had a 128GB iPhone 7+ Verizon Model back in October and it worked great for about 2 weeks that I had it, I decided to sell it and bough the Google Pixel XL until December 15th when I got another iPhone 7+, this time a 32GB T-Mobile version (A1784), it worked as expected for 2 weeks then suddenly on Dec. 28th when I got to my office the phone began draining the battery a lot faster than normal and when I checked the battery stats I noticed that the Battery Standby and Usage were increasing at the same rate, without even using the phone.

Confused about it, I even did a factory reset just before I left the office, so when I finally completed the restore process I was out of the office already. So it worked great again, as usual and the next day as soon as I crossed my Office's door the problem began, problem is that once it begins it doesn't stop. Fast Forwarding a week and trying everything possible (only thing that stops the drain is turning on Airplane mode, but then turning all the radios back one by one immediately starts the issue, every single one of them) Apple agreed to a replacement, for my surprise it had the same issue since the first day it arrived.

Tired of this, I asked my daughter to use the new phone and let me use her iPhone 7 that was working great, and as soon as I enter my office it happened again. I got tired of this and thinking that the only phone that didn't have the issue while I used it here was the Verizon one, I decided to buy a 256GB Jet Black iPhone 7 + Verizon version also, and guess what? It does the same. I've done 4 factory resets with different options, restoring a backup, setting as a new phone and installing basic settings, setting and a new phone and not setting anything, and all of them just did the same.

So as you can see, I'm out of ideas here, the only thing sure is that so far it just happens when I'm here at work, so it must be related to signal/towers/bands, but I have about 10 other co-workers with T-mobile and iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 and none of them have the same issue I have so that's what driving me crazy.

One more thing, once I leave the office it goes back to normal, but this is totally unacceptable that I must be re-charging all day decreasing my battery life span by a lot for something that seems to be affecting just me on 4 different phones in the last 3 weeks.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Pleeeeeeease.

Jan 20, 2017 11:20 AM in response to desiadri

OK well that is something learned. Next thing I would try, when you get to work, turn the phone off, wait a minute then turn on again and see if possibly something that is retained in memory is conflicting with the work network. Killing apps that are minimized (once you get to work) is another step to attempt as well. Also, have you tried turning background refresh option to off? I have a drain issue (10% per hour on standby) with 10.2 and that helps mine.

Jan 20, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Verndog-08

Yes, I have tried that and that's why I even did a couple of factory resets and setting it as a new phone without a single app installed or any setting, just a factory set phone and it still does the same.

BUT, I just went back and retraced what I initially did about the LTE so I just turned wifi off and then I turned LTE off and after 10 minutes without using I can repeat that is the first time in the day (and in so many days) that it had stopped the usage/standby issue.

Just to be sure I went back and turn wifi on and the issue began even with LTE off, that's what I've been seeing since that first day.

So it seems, so far, that the issue is caused by LTE and Wifi combined, interesting...

Feb 3, 2017 7:28 PM in response to Verndog-08

Like I've been posting in other threads here I found the issue and it has been verified by others also.

It was iCloud for windows, believe it or not I managed to filter the issue as to only occurred when I had my laptop on then I looked for any changes around the time the problem began and the only different thing was the iCloud for windows installation.

After removing it I've been trouble free for over a week now and like I said others have done after reading my posts and have verified that it was fixed for them also.

Jul 11, 2017 11:44 PM in response to Verndog-08

I have exactly the same problem since approx. 3 weeks. (iPhone 7 bought Dec 2016)

Normally at the end of the day the battery is down to 40-60% (I charge always overnight).

Now it is down to 20% after 4-6 hours.

I noticed that often the phone is warm when I take it out of my belt pouch.

I experimented with "Raise to wake" to make sure that the screen is not on when i am carrying it.

Normally the Mail App is using 40-60% of the energy but only with 4 min active and 6 min background activity.

Experimenting with fetch and push settings did not show a noticeable difference.

Most of the time the ration usage and standby time is equal of very close.

A reset and restore from iCloud improved the situation for approx one day.

I do not use "iCloud for windows". I have a Mac that also syncs with iCloud. This feature I cannot do without.

Is there another way to find a "roque" app then resetting too new and adding app by app?

Thanks for any suggestion,

Henk

Oct 12, 2016 6:04 PM in response to dseyit

I agree with gdgmacguy's assessment. If your standby and usage are the same, you have a rogue process or app that is causing the device to try and do something it cannot complete. Restore to factory and test for a bit, then start adding content back individually. I believe your backup is corrupt, especially if you are trying to use beta at the same time. Also, any beta issues that you experience cannot be discussed here in the public forum, you need to use the beta reporting app to report them.

Oct 12, 2016 6:06 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Hİ thanks for reply. Yeah i tried, i ve been trying to find an issue as a scientific research by looking my battery usage ALWAYS. So gar the issue pops up suddenly. Even as i told u, today my fresh new iphone had this issie. May be bbm , because it shows the highest usage of battery and had nearly 2.5 hours of background activity. But even without bbm, issue suddenly pops out. The only thing that i am sure is it goes after restart.

Oct 12, 2016 6:16 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

No. İ am not using backup. No, it did not started after bbm, it even starts without it. Here are my recent usage hours:

6-16, 28-49*, 37-72*, 46-82, 47-85* , star indicates turned off screen, so far so good with this replacement phone, but i am nit sure. Battery life in my 6s plus was superb with ios 10.0.1 . İ even got my second day with bormal usage. But on my previous 7 plus it had this issue and i needed to charge every evening regardless of my usage.

iphone 7 plus battery drain, do not go standby, standby same with usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.