Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usrobotics FAX modem not working with Mac Sierra. Fax modems are a must with some companies.

usrobotics FAX modem not working with Mac Sierra. Fax modems are a must with some companies.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2016 11:30 PM

4 replies

Jan 24, 2017 4:28 AM in response to hfahmy

Here are instructions on how to reinstall usb fax modem support on Mac OS Sierra: Reinstall USB Fax Modem Capabilities on Sierra. It simply involves copying a few files from a previous El Capitan install. It works on my system, and the working fix is persistent after the 10.12.3 upgrade.

I filed a bug report and was told that Sierra supports multi-function printer faxing, but not "legacy" fax modems.

Personally, I have no interest in adding more peripheral clutter when all I need is a sub-$15 modem and a phone cord, especially when the fix is copying over a few files.

If dropping support for fax modems affects you negatively, please take the time to issue feedback at Apple's website, https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

Jan 24, 2017 12:53 PM in response to hfahmy

Here are instructions on how to reinstall usb fax modem support on Mac OS Sierra. They simply involve copying a few files from a previous El Capitan install. It works on my system, and the working fix is persistent after the 10.12.3 upgrade.

I filed a bug report and was told that Sierra supports multi-function printer faxing, but not "legacy" fax modems.

Personally, I have no interest in adding more peripheral clutter when all I need is a sub-$15 modem and a phone cord, especially when the fix is copying over a few files.

If dropping support for fax modems affects you negatively, please take the time to issue feedback at Apple's website, https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

Oct 12, 2016 11:44 PM in response to hfahmy

macOS Sierra has dropped support for fax modems.

You can probably find an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax that is compatible with macOS Sierra and will allow fax sending/receiving.

As for a "must with some companies", I was under the impression that email combined with photocopiers which produce PDF files mailed to the local user had taken over. They certainly have downunder. Obviously YMMV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.