Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After typing "`" (backtick) followed by "i" i get this weird character: "ì".

Hello,

on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) i can't type the combination of these two characters: "`i" in the "normal" order (after typing "`" (backtick) followed by "i" i get this weird character: "ì".). The workaround which i'm currently using is to type the "i" frist and then move my cursor infront of "i" to type "`". But this is a bit annoying...

Any ideas why? How can i fix this?

Best regards

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12), 13-inch, Early 2015

Posted on Oct 13, 2016 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2016 2:02 AM

While typing, when you press Option + that key, you get the "`". When you type it, it appears marked with yellow tint, right? And if you continue to type "i" it changes to "ì". Well, when you type `, right afterwards press SPACE key and then letter "i". Space cancels the ` yellow tint and it won't change the letter "i" you type afterwards. Try it out.

Cheers.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2016 2:02 AM in response to jedat

While typing, when you press Option + that key, you get the "`". When you type it, it appears marked with yellow tint, right? And if you continue to type "i" it changes to "ì". Well, when you type `, right afterwards press SPACE key and then letter "i". Space cancels the ` yellow tint and it won't change the letter "i" you type afterwards. Try it out.

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2016 8:37 AM in response to jedat

The Slovenian keyboard layout includes the standard Mac shortcut for creating the grave accents used in various European languages, option backtick followed by the base letter. To get just backtick you have to type the backtick and then space, as mentioned earlier. You will find similar behavior for option e,u,i,h,k,n. This can seen via Keyboard Viewer.

If you would like to change that behavior, you can make a custom layout pretty easily with

http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele

Another app some use for such things is Karabiner.

After typing "`" (backtick) followed by "i" i get this weird character: "ì".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.