Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot resolve .local hostname after upgrading to macOS Sierra

0down votefavorite

I recently upgraded to macOS Sierra and i cannot resolve my .local hostnames anymore.

I've tried restoring the httpd.conf and httpd-vhosts.conf files, but it didn't help.

I can however reach my webserver using the IP address, but not with the .local hostname. If i ping the IP, it works perfectly, but pinging the hostname gives "Unknown host". Running "host mymac.local" gives Host server.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN).

I also tried setting the ComputerName, HostName and LocalHostName with the scutil.

Obviously reboot didn't help either.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any idea how this could be resolved? Thanks a lot, very appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 13, 2016 10:26 AM

17 replies

Oct 13, 2016 10:12 PM in response to piorange

> Running "host mymac.local" gives Host server.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN).

Which is normal 🙂

> pinging the hostname gives "Unknown host".

Which is not normal 😟

As Bonjour's Multicast Domain Name Service (mDNS) uses the ".local" suffix to identify Bonjour-accessible devices, are these two daemons running on your system:

1. /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder; and

2. /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderHelper

If not, which is very odd, then you need to manually restart them.

Open an Applications > Utilities > Terminal window and post the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

mDNS will then be running again, and should also reload and run the next time your boot without further intervention.

Nov 2, 2016 3:10 AM in response to piorange

I had the same issue and found out how to fix it: turn any of the sharing services ON in the system preferences.

(File sharing worked for me).

For some reason .local hostname is kept turned off unless any of the sharing services is active.

If you turn the sharing service off, the .local address will keep working for a minute or so and then get deactivated.

Cannot resolve .local hostname after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.