Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"secd" process draining battery after Sierra upgrade

Just upgraded an Airbook to Sierra and boy am I regretting it right now. This secd process is pegging my CPU at 90+ percent, along with CloudKeyChainSynchingproxy, and CloudKeychainProxy to a lesser degree but from a little initial research, they are all related.

I bypassed everything relating to iCloud when installing this as I am not an iphone user, rarely use itunes and generally have no use for icloud.

No matter how many times I stop these processes in the Activity monitor, it starts back up again almost immediately or after 10 minutes or so. The result? Battery drain after less than two hours when my battery charge use to last the entire day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 13, 2016 5:21 PM

13 replies

Jan 1, 2017 2:42 PM in response to Bucklebackjack

Hello! I stumbled on your question because i was having the same problem with my macbook pro 2011, that I had just recently upgraded to Sierra OS. I noticed the fan would be running all the time, and the battery was just being drained too quickly. I was able to fix it by going to "activity monitor" and selecting the "energy" tab. There i found that a process called secd was running at 65% all the time. Btw, Secd is a security daemon you can google that if your interested it. but mainly, you double-click on the item line where it says secd and you can forcequit the process and voila my fan immediately stopped running and the mac stopped being overheated.

Nov 1, 2016 3:49 PM in response to Bucklebackjack

I have this same issue after upgrading to Sierra; however, the box for Keychain in the iCloud prefs was not checked. Does anyone have another possible answer for this? I do not have CloudKeyChainSynchingproxy or CloudKeychainProxy using much CPU but I do have IDSKeychainSynchingProxy showing up as the #2 item for %CPU use. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 13, 2016 7:41 AM in response to DMfromLux

I've spent about an hour trying to fix this and your advice worked. My wife doesn't use iCould Keychain on her 2013 iMac so I never checked that box. Doing what you suggested ended secd, which was using 70% of the CPU and absolutely killing the performance. Pretty serious bug but based on the lack of info out there it does not seem to be widespread.

Dec 8, 2016 11:37 AM in response to Bucklebackjack

Had the same problem but was able to fix using a variation of the previous answer. My Keychain was already unchecked, so I did the following steps:

1) Checked the Keychain box

2) Entered password to make changes but DID NOT hit Enter

3) Clicked on Cancel instead so that changes were not made

Believe it or not, the CPU activity for the secd dropped like a rock immediately.

Dec 9, 2016 1:45 PM in response to Bucklebackjack

Was having similar problem - suddenly MacBook air 11" battery started draining really, really fast, got very hot, and fan ran madly. Took to Genius Bar - nothing other than said battery checked out okay. Today, checked Activity Monitor and my workplace techie noticed "secd" was using over 80%. We googled and found this page. My Keychain was NOT checked, but I did what some of you said -- checked it, went through the set-up, and suddenly the "secd" bombed down to 0.0!!! Now, I hope that will address the battery drain! Will watch for a few days to see how this all goes. Apple you really need to be sending out some notices to us about these things!!!!!

"secd" process draining battery after Sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.