Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I cancel my iCloud payments?

Hi,

I purchase 200gb of iCloud space per month, but am about to change phones to a non iPhone.

If I stop the payments of extra storage, can I still access what is stored already? I believe I have around 150gb or so. Will I still be able to access that if I no longer acquire my monthly 200gb space?

Posted on Oct 14, 2016 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 11:53 AM

I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but I will take a stab at it. The short version is essentially what zinacef said, "You will lose your data and access to it." I believe that after 180 days of inactivity, Apple reserves the right to delete all your iCloud storage. Without an Apple device (since you are planning to change to a non-iPhone), I don't see how you can access you iCloud account. Which means you can expect to lose all your data. So, I would follow LOrmston's advice and back up the data in some form or another before you cancel. This article may help:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2017 11:53 AM in response to Darrenporeber

I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but I will take a stab at it. The short version is essentially what zinacef said, "You will lose your data and access to it." I believe that after 180 days of inactivity, Apple reserves the right to delete all your iCloud storage. Without an Apple device (since you are planning to change to a non-iPhone), I don't see how you can access you iCloud account. Which means you can expect to lose all your data. So, I would follow LOrmston's advice and back up the data in some form or another before you cancel. This article may help:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2016 12:27 PM in response to the_gmg86

See the section "Downgrade your iCloud storage plan" in:

iCloud storage upgrades and downgrades - Apple Support

where it says "If you cancel your plan or you don't renew it, you'll automatically go back to 5GB of free storage." and "If you downgrade your storage plan and your content exceeds the storage you have available, new photos and videos won't upload to iCloud Photo Library and your devices stop backing up to iCloud. iCloud Drive and the other apps that you use with iCloud won’t update across your devices. You can't send or receive messages with your iCloud email address."

What happens if I cancel my iCloud payments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.