Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iphone 7 plus support NFC?

Hi

I would like to know whether can iPhone 7 plus support NFC? Cause I'm holding the EZ-Link NFC Sim card which allow me to use it on public transit in Singapore like MRT & etc.., using Samsung phone. Please mixed up with Apple paid (Samsung paid), cause for EZ-Link NFC sim card, I can top up money and use it, which it is not using any one of my credit card.

I did went down to one of apple store but with disappointment due to the staffs there don't even know what is NFC. So I can't ask further.

Thanks for your understanding

Orca

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 15, 2016 3:59 AM

9 replies

Feb 25, 2017 4:26 AM in response to Orca.Shamu

I'm still with an iPhone 4s, partly because I'm waiting for apple to catch up to NFC (Near Field Communication).
A developer can program an NFC chip to do any number of things, from installing an app to sending someone to a website. You can also program a chip to do things to people's phones (shutting them off, playing music, or bad things). There are quite a few security concerns with NFC. On an Android phone, if looks like the user has to permit just about every action, every step of the way. When the NFC chip is activated, there is a series of prompts that ask the user if they will permit this or that action (open website, install app, etc.), if not otherwise specified in system settings.

I can see why Apple is reticent to provide more user access to NFC for the time being. I would think they could permit access for things that are lower security risks. Apple could be working on some NFC related project, planning a big product launch. That would be in step with their behavior as a company. NFC is kind of long overdue, I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple iPhones have great security features, which is why they don't have the same problems that android phones do. The sacrifice is open public access to development. Accessing a phone via the NFC connection is different than accessing it via wifi or your cell connection. So there would be different security features at work there, I'm sure.

Hope this helps.
Tom
<Links Edited by Host>

Sep 18, 2017 8:34 PM in response to Orca.Shamu

All iPhones since the iPhone 6 have an NFC controller in them. The NFC controller was originally used to support NFC based payment transactions for Apple Pay. As a part of iOS 11, Apple added Core NFC which is an iOS SDK for apps to be able to read NDEF encoded NFC tags. The ability to read NFC tags with an iPhone is only supported by the iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and iPhone X; the iPhone 6 can NOT read NFC tags with iOS 11. Note that no iPhone can write NFC tags with iOS 11. The implications of this are that all NFC tags to be used by an iPhone must have previously been NDEF encoded. Blank NFC tags purchased from Amazon will not work until they have been encoded. The GoToTags Store uses the GoToTags NFC Encoder software to encode NFC tags for customers. Also, an app is required to read NFC tags. iOS does not have native support for handling NDEF encoded NFC tags in the way that Android does with their tag dispatch system. The GoToTags iPhone App can read NFC tags and scan barcodes to perform device actions.

For more details, see this blog post:

https://gototags.com/blog/finally-read-nfc-tags-with-an-iphone-app-on-ios-11/

Disclaimer, GoToTags is a commercial NFC company. However, we are an expert with NFC and iOS.

Oct 21, 2016 10:52 PM in response to Orca.Shamu

But ApplePay can't link to EZ-Link NFC SIM card, which mean I won't be able to use it for public transit in Singapore. This make me a bit disappointed with iPhone, why it had NFC yet can't link to my Sim card, which Samsung is able to. Apple always told us is user friendly for all their proucts but I don't think so as just this simple technologies it can't do it..

Does iphone 7 plus support NFC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.