Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Energy Saver missing some options

Noticed today, that in my Energy Saver system pref, there are no sliders other than the one to

sleep the display. There are none to sleep the drive. I DO have the usual tick boxes for

Wake for network access etc, and the schedule startup shut down function.

Has something changed in Sierra? Or do I have a problem?

I've reset the SMC and PRAM and run first aid from Recovery. No joy.

thanks ~

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 15, 2016 2:31 PM

25 replies

Aug 13, 2017 3:38 PM in response to Xeneize

Make the settings like this , display sleep slider settings should be less than computer sleep , also uncheck the box of wake for wi fi network access .

Good practice is close all the applications , turn wi fi off and press control + option + command + power key simultaneously and let the screen goes black and wait for a while close the lid after completion of your work on the computer .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 13, 2017 3:10 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Am I the only one who sees the obvious problem with this? Or am I missing an obvious solution?

On a laptop in battery mode, how do I make it sleep after N minutes idle? I used to be able to do this with the second slider, which is now disappeared.

I am having a recurring problem with my (wimpy) MagSafe II connector getting disconnected overnight (blame the cat or whatever), and the MBP battery is exhausted and the unit shut down by the time I wake up in the morning, all because the unit is not going to sleep when on battery.

Aug 13, 2017 3:17 PM in response to macswe

macswe wrote:

I am having a recurring problem with my (wimpy) MagSafe II connector getting disconnected overnight (blame the cat or whatever), and the MBP battery is exhausted and the unit shut down by the time I wake up in the morning, all because the unit is not going to sleep when on battery.

Close the MBP at night? It will be asleep. And, it will be safe from a cat tramping on the keys.

Aug 14, 2017 12:48 AM in response to macswe

If you read closely the text for the first checkbox says something like "Prevent the computer from sleeping when the display sleeps".

Granted this is less convenient and less clear than the second slider. However the implication seems to be that by leaving this box UNchecked the computer will sleep when the screen does.

I don't know why this is different but from examples posted it may be related to portables with two gpu.

Aug 14, 2017 2:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Mmmmmm... no. Curiously (and this truly is curious), that option appears only on the power adapter tab. There is no such checkbox on the battery tab.

Now, maybe the implication here is that it is now impossible to prevent the machine from sleeping when the display sleeps if it is running on battery. Unfortunately, my real world experience disproves this. In the battery tab, my display is set to sleep in 10 minutes, but when my MagSafe comes loose, my battery drains overnight.

Aug 14, 2017 10:59 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for trying, but your recommendations are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the problem. I don't need to set sleep and wake times; power nap is already off, where it belongs; and I already have a battery monitor active but it does me no good when the battery exhausts itself overnight while I am sleeping (and the cat doesn't pay attention to it).

Energy Saver missing some options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.