Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xfinity app for Apple TV

I was told by an Apple chat rep that I could download an Xfinity app to my Apple TV 4th Gen and would use that app to watch live TV from Comcast rather than switch TV inputs to use the one connected to my cable box. I cannot find an XFINITY app for Apple TV... perhaps I misunderstood or need to change my service with Comcast or something? Nothing fancy, just basic cable - not even any pay channels.

Thanks,

Thom

Apple TV, tvOS 10

Posted on Oct 15, 2016 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 11:46 AM

Probably not the answer that you are looking for... but if you have a mac computer, you can screen mirror your computer desktop to your apple tv via airplay, then access all xfinity content (DVR content, on Demand, Guide included) on your apple tv. This isn't supported via the Xfinity apps on iOS devices.

If your computer is in the same room as your tv, it effectively becomes your remote. If it isn't, then you may want to consider bring a bluetooth device (mac, trackpad) into the room where you watch your tv if it can still connect with your computer, or check out some of the remote/trackpad apps for iOS devices on the app store.

I have Xfinity internet service with VERY fast download speeds (~250 mbps), but sound quality and audio are great. I'll typically use this to create "split screen," with one safari streaming sesame street for my toddler while I watch sports on the other side...

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2017 11:46 AM in response to SFguy

Probably not the answer that you are looking for... but if you have a mac computer, you can screen mirror your computer desktop to your apple tv via airplay, then access all xfinity content (DVR content, on Demand, Guide included) on your apple tv. This isn't supported via the Xfinity apps on iOS devices.

If your computer is in the same room as your tv, it effectively becomes your remote. If it isn't, then you may want to consider bring a bluetooth device (mac, trackpad) into the room where you watch your tv if it can still connect with your computer, or check out some of the remote/trackpad apps for iOS devices on the app store.

I have Xfinity internet service with VERY fast download speeds (~250 mbps), but sound quality and audio are great. I'll typically use this to create "split screen," with one safari streaming sesame street for my toddler while I watch sports on the other side...

Apr 13, 2017 1:29 PM in response to dbaked

No, no you can't use AirPlay. I work for Comcast and unfortunately we have broadcast restrictions from our channel providers that will not allow us to let any portion of our services be rebroadcast. (Will throw License Error 3338) You may be able to do it with a fire box after downloading the Xfinity app but this is yet untested personally.

Apr 13, 2017 4:00 PM in response to hawa11styl3

Hawa11styl3: that is true for Airplay from iOS devices.

It isn't true for MacOS (sort of). I literally do this every night from my iMac. MacOS allows you to screen mirror you desktop to Apple TV... if you happen to have a browser window open with a video streaming in that window, it isn't restricted. It is effectively the same as using your TV as an external monitor, it just connects via Apple TV instead of an HDMI cable. I can post a picture if you'd like to see the way that it displays (it's the same method I use to watch Amazon Video via Apple TV since iOS isn't supported anymore).

It's a bit choppier than what you get with a "true" AirPlay stream, but it probably wouldn't bother most people. It's about the same quality as streaming content via chromecast from the chrome browser in my experience.

I know that ROKU has a beta xfinity stream app available now, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Thanks for bringing direct COMCAST knowledge to the thread.

Sep 18, 2017 12:44 AM in response to BrotherPhil

There is a workaround for watching HGTV, AMC, BBCA, and a few other networks restricted by Comcast. Someone else already linked to this article, but it shows instructions on how to hack the activation to work for xfinity:

https://eciov.com/articles/tech/comcast-xfinity-apple-tv-activation/

An easier solution is to use this webpage:

https://mludowise.github.io/AppleTV-XFinity-Activation/

It's unfortunate and extremely obnoxious that Comcast doesn't support all the networks on ATV and that their app isn't available on that platform. I'm also not a fan, but they're the only option in a lot of locations.

Dec 9, 2017 11:20 AM in response to SFguy

Am I living in a dream world folks? Xfinity just enticed me to sign a 1 year internet contract with a free basic TV plan. Because it’s not my 1st rodeo with Xfinity, I specifically asked if their app was available on Apple TV and they said yes. They also said the app would appear the next morning so don’t be alarmed if I don’t see it. I am not worrying because I can revert out of the contract during the 30 grace period. Just saved $10 per month on internet and received basic cable without switching carriers or decreasing my internet speed. It’s a wonderful Christmas unless they were lying about the app.

Jan 8, 2018 1:32 PM in response to SFguy

Great question and I just researched this myself. Xfinity does not yet have a native app for AppleTV (that I know of). They are currently in beta on Roku devices...but who wants to use those. XFINITY Stream Beta App on Roku FAQs

While I bet there will be an Xfinity app available at some point (perhaps even later this year) I just went through a conversion so I could run ALL TV on my AppleTV...and it's awesome. I ended up going with Playstation Vue for TV (also tested Hulu live TV) as it seems to be the most powerful and allows concurrent streams. Just updated my Xfinity account to internet only (and increased the speed in the process).

Now, it's a great experience on every TV in the house. Each Apple TV has Playstation Vue (for TV), Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. Easy enough to add more or less apps as needed/wanted. Since AppleTV only costs once for the hardware, there is limitless expansion. I have them installed on everything from a 39" LCD guest room TV, to an OLED, to a 120" 4k projector in our media room. Loving the new solution.

Oct 15, 2016 3:40 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Sorry, but no it does not help. The instructions referenced say updated in 01/16, but it must apply to the Roku or something. This should be a very forthright thing - how to watch your live cable television from within Apple TV. And yet, it seems everything hinges on whether Comcast/Xfinity has created an Apple TV app... which, as far as I can tell, they have not. They have for your iPhone or iPad, but not for Apple TV. Perhaps there is some way to push the display output from the computer to the Apple TV? Just got this today and am only a few hours into it. Have upgraded it and all has gone according to plan for the setup otherwise. It's just ... this is a BIG otherwise.

Xfinity app for Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.