Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk

I just got this notice....Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk.

I don't know what it means or what to do about it.

Thanks, MEW

MacBook

Posted on Oct 16, 2016 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2017 5:09 AM

This is all true, but what if unencrypted backups are what I want? My external hard drive is in a very secure location, and being unable to access my backups if some encryption key was misplaced or unavailable represents a bigger risk to my data than having the drive stolen. I've been ignoring the "Backup not encrypted" message. Today I was on the road without the external disk for backup for the first time in weeks and I got "No backups for 43 days". This is very disturbing, since I installed Sierra 43 days ago. Is Sierra backup refusing to do unencrypted backups from an encrypted drive? That's not at all what the message says, or what your explanation implies.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2017 5:09 AM in response to Teddy_B

This is all true, but what if unencrypted backups are what I want? My external hard drive is in a very secure location, and being unable to access my backups if some encryption key was misplaced or unavailable represents a bigger risk to my data than having the drive stolen. I've been ignoring the "Backup not encrypted" message. Today I was on the road without the external disk for backup for the first time in weeks and I got "No backups for 43 days". This is very disturbing, since I installed Sierra 43 days ago. Is Sierra backup refusing to do unencrypted backups from an encrypted drive? That's not at all what the message says, or what your explanation implies.

Oct 17, 2016 5:07 PM in response to MEWzz

Hi watkinm!

I see that you have a question about Time Machine backups and encryption, and I'm happy to go over some information for you. That error message means that your Mac's hard drive is using FileVault encryption to secure your data, but the hard drive you're using for Time Machine is not encrypted. You can read more about this at the following links:

macOS Sierra: Keep your Time Machine backup disk secure

macOS Sierra: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Back up not encrypted: Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk to an unencrypted disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.