Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this? There is no application set to open the URL data:text/html;base64,PHNjcmlwdD4oZnVuY3Rpb24oKXt3aW5kb3cucGFyZW50LnBvc3RNZXNzYWdlKEpTT04uc3RyaW5naWZ5KHthY3Rpb246Im10cm ... aXB0Pg==.

User uploaded file

This window keeps popping up and I can't get rid of it. I searched the internet but found no answers, i tried to delete History.plist and LastSession.plist and Downloads.plist files to the Trash from ~/Library/Safari.

But this didnt work,

anyone know what this is?

Posted on Oct 18, 2016 10:40 AM

9 replies

Oct 19, 2016 2:40 AM in response to Fumi Lala

I had the same sort of message when trying to open a URL from a Google search results list. I don't know if it is relevant but it turned out the site it was pointing to was a nasty web browser hijacking infested site.

The URL did open normally in Firefox and AdBlockerPlus in Firefox blocked the nasty stuff.

Might be something new from Safari 10? Or if everyone else is hitting these URLs via Google perhaps Google are doing something.

Oct 19, 2016 8:38 PM in response to LeRoiLeon

OH!!!! That's it King man Leon.

They were running Skype on the machine which is affected (for me at least).

Translating the solution from ioffer007

The solution is:

1. Open Terminal

2. sudo nano /etc/hosts

3. (enter your password)

4. Add to the existing list:

127.0.0.1 rad.msn.com

127.0.0.1 live.rads.msn.com

127.0.0.1 ads1.msn.com

127.0.0.1 static.2mdn.net

127.0.0.1 g.msn.com

127.0.0.1 a.ads2.msads.net

127.0.0.1 b.ads2.msads.net

127.0.0.1 ac3.msn.com

127.0.0.1 apps.skype.com

5. Ctrl-O, RETURN, Ctrl-X

(you are basically not allowing the ad URLs to leave your computer with this modification)

Oct 25, 2016 1:38 PM in response to LeRoiLeon

I can confirm that this seems to be caused by a specific Skype ad, targeted at users in Germany.

Try restarting Skype multiple times, and note which ad is displayed on the front page when the error dialog appears. For me, it is always the same ad (see attached screenshot — localized in French).

User uploaded file

Furthermore, if I configure Privoxy as my HTTPS proxy, ads no longer show up in Skype, and neither does the error dialog (after multiple Skype test restarts).

I am going to report this to Skype/Microsoft.

What is this? There is no application set to open the URL data:text/html;base64,PHNjcmlwdD4oZnVuY3Rpb24oKXt3aW5kb3cucGFyZW50LnBvc3RNZXNzYWdlKEpTT04uc3RyaW5naWZ5KHthY3Rpb246Im10cm ... aXB0Pg==.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.