Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a medical dictionary of terminology that can be added to the iOS autocorrect database?

Hi,

I'm a physician, and I'm using an iPad for our electronic medical record system (EMR). Unfortunately, I've found that the autocorrect feature does not recognize medical terminology. So as I'm typing, it incorrectly flags medical jargon as spelled incorrectly, even when I know it's spelled properly. Also, when the words are spelled incorrectly, or if I'm uncertain of the spelling of a medical word, the iPad doesn't offer correct suggestions or let me know when I've spelled the word correctly.

Even worse, I've occasionally found that as I'm typing the autocorrect feature will sometimes replace medical terminology with other words, resulting in a sentence that's nonsensical (not ideal for a medical record).

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue? It would be ideal to have a way of updating the iPad's built-in autocorrect dictionary with medical terminology so that it can recognize medical words across all applications. Unfortunately, since this was impacting my workflow, I've had to turn off my autocorrect settings entirely in the meantime.

I'm using an iPad Air 2, on iOS 10.0.2, with an external keyboard.

Thanks for any input you have!!

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 19, 2016 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 9:44 AM

For what it's worth, I found Gboard (Google's custom keyboard) to be the best solution for this so far. It recognizes a wider variety of terms, it is more judicious about autocorrect, and it learns words seamlessly.

For example, I type dexmedetomidine and it doesn't try to autpcorrect it (but it did automatically change "doesnt" to "doesn't" in the same phrase). Now, having typed it once, I start to type dexmedetomidine and it gives me the correct suggestion after just the first three keystrokes.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2017 9:44 AM in response to Overpanic

For what it's worth, I found Gboard (Google's custom keyboard) to be the best solution for this so far. It recognizes a wider variety of terms, it is more judicious about autocorrect, and it learns words seamlessly.

For example, I type dexmedetomidine and it doesn't try to autpcorrect it (but it did automatically change "doesnt" to "doesn't" in the same phrase). Now, having typed it once, I start to type dexmedetomidine and it gives me the correct suggestion after just the first three keystrokes.

Dec 26, 2017 7:45 AM in response to Docriebe

Doc here. Not to criticize, but I feel that that there are three issues with the 3rd party app

1) You have to enable it to connect to Watson at IBM so it can see EVERYTHING you type and

2) The voice dictation does not work

3) It is a different interface and the buttons do not match up with the normal apple keyboard (at least on iphone).

My exwife had a mandarin app where everything 'looked apple' and it was able to accurately 'hear' mandarin. I think Apple needs to create an app/extension for this problem themselves.

The reason why I am at this juncture in the rabbit hole is that someone stated that an apple product deliberately changed duloxetine to fluoxetine.

I still like PCs where you can just right click and add the word to the dictionary and have it there forever. Suppose this is not viable if you have to keep switching from device to device or if apple won't let one 'update their dictionary' quite that easily.

Oct 20, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Overpanic

Hi Overpanic,

I understand that your iPad is correcting the medical terminology you use regularly, which is causing some issues. I know it's important to enter text accurately, so I'm happy to help.

While there may not be a single medical dictionary to cover all of the terminology, iOS has the means built in to adjust to your way of speaking. It seems that creating shortcuts for the words you use may be the best solution. Check out how to do that here:

Save keystrokes - iPad User Guide

Create a shortcut. Go to Settings > General > Keyboard, then tap Text Replacement.

Have a word or phrase you use and don’t want it corrected? Create a shortcut, but leave the Shortcut field blank.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 20, 2016 1:05 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ,

Thank you for your reply. While that might be helpful if there were just a few words that I'm running into this issue with over and over again, I don't think you quite appreciate the full scale of the volume of medical terminology I use on a day-to-day basis. The task you are suggesting is monumental in scope, and would take months, if not years, to accomplish, as I update the database on a case-by-case basis.

What you're describing is more of a workaround, rather than a true solution to the problem at hand.

-Marshall

Is there a medical dictionary of terminology that can be added to the iOS autocorrect database?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.