Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage on mac won't send to just one person

The imessage on my Macbook has been acting up for about the last week. Last week it wouldn't send imessages to anyone, and so I logged out of it and logged back in and it seemed to be working again.

Today I am unable to send imessages to one particular person. She has iMessage, and we message frequently between our phones and our laptops. My iMessage is connected to my phone number, in case that matters. I can send messages from my Mac to everyone else I typically communicate with, but when I try to message her, it won't send. It doesn't even say "cannot send" it just sort of has that blue sending bar at the top unable to reach the end.

I am able to message her from my phone as usual, and those texts that I send will even show up in the imessage chat screen on my Mac. It just won't show anything from her. I can receive her texts however on my iphone.

Is this a problem with my imessage that others are having? Or could this be a problem with her imessage? If anyone has any guidance, pleaes send it my way!

MacBook

Posted on Oct 19, 2016 6:54 PM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2016 1:54 PM in response to gracemu

Hi,

Check the Contacts App on both devices as to which service is doing the Sync.

i.e. both should be using iCloud or other service and not multiples in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts on the Mac version.

Also check it each device as to where it is sending the out going iMessage.

I have my iPhone set to "Start New Conversations" from the iPhone Number. My Mac is set to use th Apple ID

I don't always keep all conversations On show on the Mac so I am often starting a new conversation.

If your iPhone is iPhone Number to iPhone Number then the sycn "copy" may appear on the Mac.

However your Mac might be trying to send from the Apple ID to her Apple ID which may have lost the link to her iPhone Number and the iMessages will fail to deliver if the Mac involved is Off line.

Because the service can use multiple devices using at least two ID formats there are several halfway house type situations that can arise.

An iMessage to the Device that is set to send the "read"receipts back will only show that if the device receives the iMessage. Any devices linked for sync will show the iMessage but not send the Delivered or Read info back.

That is to say if my Mac is set to send back "Read" receipts but if Off line then I can see the sync "copy" as it were on my iPhone but the sender will not see "Delivered" or "read" until my Mac is on line again.

The "Sync" is really only "Display on all devices".

Unravelling which ID is sending to which ID can be time consuming but may point to where the issue is.

User uploaded file

8:54 pm Thursday; November 3, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

imessage on mac won't send to just one person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.