Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots not appearing on desktop in macOS Sierra

When I take screenshots, they do not appear on the desktop of my MacBook Pro, and this only recently started after I downloaded macOS Sierra (and I'm not writing the nightmare I went through with Apple Tech support to fix other major problems with Sierra that ended in my hard drive having to be wiped....).

When I take a screenshot, nothing appears on the desktop. But I've found that there are actually screenshots, but the only way I know they are there is by having All My Files selected in Finder - they appear there. If I click on one of them, it suddenly appears on the desktop.

What's going on, and how do I fix this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Oct 20, 2016 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2016 3:29 AM

It depends on how you're trying to screenshot. If you're using (cmd + shift + 3) or (cmd + shift + 4) then it should be saving to your desktop unless your OS is being told to save it elsewhere. You can check if it's being saved elsewhere by opening finder and selecting the "All my files" tab, then doing a search for "screenshot".

If it's not being saved at all then the problem might be that you are also pressing ctrl. When taking a screenshot in OSX or macOS, adding ctrl to the previously mentioned hotkeys means that it will take the screenshot and save it to your clipboard so that it is ready to paste, rather than a hard copy of the file.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2016 3:29 AM in response to RB116

It depends on how you're trying to screenshot. If you're using (cmd + shift + 3) or (cmd + shift + 4) then it should be saving to your desktop unless your OS is being told to save it elsewhere. You can check if it's being saved elsewhere by opening finder and selecting the "All my files" tab, then doing a search for "screenshot".

If it's not being saved at all then the problem might be that you are also pressing ctrl. When taking a screenshot in OSX or macOS, adding ctrl to the previously mentioned hotkeys means that it will take the screenshot and save it to your clipboard so that it is ready to paste, rather than a hard copy of the file.

Jan 8, 2017 10:32 PM in response to RB116

I've had this same issue. Your screenshots are probably there, but Finder's not refreshing the desktop for some reason. Happened immediately after upgrading to Sierra 10.12.2. If you open the Terminal app and type 'ls Desktop' and press Return, you'll probably see them all listed there. However, even if you open the Desktop in the Finder sidebar, they won't show up. As far as I can tell, it's not a permissions issue, and there's nothing wrong with the hard disk - it's a Finder bug.

I found that one solution is to change some Finder preferences so that it forces it to redraw the desktop. Go to the Finder, then the menu item "Finder" -> "Preferences" (or command-,). Go to "Advanced" tab, and toggle "Show all filename extensions" on and off. When I do that, all my screenshots magically reappear and the problem goes away -- at least for a while.

Feb 1, 2018 5:17 PM in response to RB116

I'm having the opposite problem. I have a bunch of screen shots on my desktop. I went to look at a bunch of them to rename them. But when I click on the icon, it acts like it's going to open up - instead - the box that opens and would normally show the screen shot is blank and grey.

Then a little box floats in from the upper right hand corner and tells me the screen shot is in finder. But then the screenshot that heretofore was on my desktop now disappears from the desktop and the only way for me to see it is to hunt for it in the screenshot finder.

I want to know why they are all disappearing from my desktop where I had saved them where I wanted them. It is very frustrating. I'm now afraid to open anything else on my desktop for fear it will disappear.

Jan 23, 2017 7:03 PM in response to damian-k

DID YOU BACK UP YOUR FILES AND RESTORE YOUR MAC TO ORIGINAL (then update to Sierra) yet?

right now i suspect there's a finder option as to whether finder continually updates the finder window, and somehow you have the option turned off (do not do live updates - which is a setting used for old slow computers that are running an OS that isn't really supported). (and desktop, which is part of finder)

if you didn't change that option, then gosh, either your installing apps that aren't from apps store that are hacking your Mac (don't do it!!) or perhaps a power outage and reset caused a glitch in your storage device.

you might take your laptop to an apple store and ask the salesperson if they know something off-hand. that might help.

Jul 20, 2017 9:07 PM in response to QuietMacFan

Stop yelling out things you don't know anything about. No one is hacking this person's Mac, that has nothing to do with their screenshots not showing on their desktop.

This sounds like there's a delay in the refresh cycle of your desktop in displaying the correct contents that are on it. Is your CPU showing overload and is your RAM okay? Have you tried an NVRAM reset or SMC reset?

Dec 6, 2017 1:51 AM in response to djorlando24

djorlando24 is right, it is a finder bug. I have the same issue since 10.12.6. The screenshots are there, I can see in the Terminal they are there, not hidden. Definitely a bug. From some searching found it is a recurring bug over the years. The files are there, the Terminal, and every other program except the Finder sees my screenshots. Nice one!

Oct 21, 2016 3:58 AM in response to Valatore

In the question, I mentioned that I've found the files appearing in All My Files, but not on the desktop, and that when I click them in All My Files, they suddenly appear on the desktop. That's weird, so I'm wondering how to fix it. I'm just pressing the (cmd + shift + 3) or (cmd + shift + 4) combos.

Screenshots not appearing on desktop in macOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.