Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

people can't hear me on iPhone 7 plus

I have a iPhone 7 plus and people can't hear me intermittently. It doesn't matter if I'm using the headphones or not. I am on iOS 10.3 but it happened before the update as well.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 20, 2016 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 2:21 AM

I did a hard reset ( power button + volume down for 10 seconds ), turned off noise cancelation for mic. Yes it worked. Once in a great while the person I'm talking to cuts out but then I switch hands and it's fine which I think is unrelated to me previous problem

30 replies

Jan 3, 2017 11:44 PM in response to CYNTHIA BAKER

My phone may be having same issue ( just got it ). Some calls people don't complain ( not sure if they are being polite or they are having hard time hearing me ) and lots of times people say they can barely hear me. I did a hard reset just now and a test call went fine. Case doesn't cover microphone either I checked that. Any update on your issue?

Feb 25, 2017 8:02 AM in response to CYNTHIA BAKER

I had this issue while using my phone at home as well with a week old iphone 7 plus purchased from the apple store. it was working fine until last night when i could receive and make phone calls but the person on the other end could only hear 'noise' but i could hear them talking fine. the problem persists today.

I contacted apple support and got a person via CHAT (since i could not make a phone call!!) and we did the following,

1. check to make sound works on your phone,

a. using voice memo, record and play back sound

b. ask siri a question, i.e. find 'joe brown' (someone who is in your contact list)

c. record a video, with the front and back lense (i.e reversed and without it reversed)

2. check you connection to your cellular provider

1. turn off your phone, wait 2 mintes turn it back on

2. turn on airplane mode, wait, then turn it back on,

3. enable wifi calling SETTINGS>PHONE (this test did not work for me because I was still connecting to AT & T)

My husband who has a droid could make and receive phone calls fine,

I have lived at my home for 8 years on had an iphone 4 & 5 with the same carrier, AT & T, and never had this type of issue but you'll find apple support wants to say it's a carrier issue.

if you go online you'll find other people have had this issue but you shouldn't have to turn off features or muck with the exterior to get it working, it's not a cheap phone, i would return it

good luck

Mar 31, 2017 5:15 PM in response to Bluefire808

I have been having the same problem and I called ATT. They had me go to settings, cellular, data and shut off the LTE. This cured the problem and my phone went from 1 bar to 4bars of service. They said there were problems with the HD voice and were working to fix it. They also assured me it was not a phone issue but it was a network issue. I hope this helps everyone.

Apr 24, 2017 3:18 PM in response to Piotr83uk

Well that *****! I had the first on replaced under warranty and then had the same issue happen again with the replacement in less than 30 days so I received yet another replacement. They didn't find any dust in mine so they just immediately replaced it. So far so good with my 2nd replacement fingers crossed it stays good. Good luck with yours

Apr 27, 2017 12:59 PM in response to CYNTHIA BAKER

I have the same issue on my phone. I had an iPhone 6sPlus. Then upgraded to the iPhone 7Plus.

Same problems. Dropped calls. A lot of time people can't hear me or I can't hear them or both.

I thought it was T-Mobile. So I switched to Cricket Wireless. Same issue.

Has to the phones. GSM uses an Intel modem. I wonder if Verizon or Sprint people have the same issue?

They have the old modem. Not sure which one the iPhone 6s Plus had.

Very furstrated.

May 7, 2017 12:15 AM in response to Chelepjfan69

Yep, here in Australia (carrier is Telstra) I have the same problem. New iPhone 7 and family and colleagues can't hear me on calls (they say it's muffled). Case is fine and microphone is clean (new phone). Separate issue is crackling and pops through bottom speakers when viewing YouTube. Never was a problem in similar situations on my old iPhone 6.

I can't believe all these problems on a brand new high-end product!

Off to Apple Store in Brisbane on Wednesday to see if they can fix it.

May 12, 2017 11:02 PM in response to jrscse

Took my 7 to the Apple Store Brisbane on Wednesday. After heaps of testing with the Genius Bar lady (I called her and she called me in the store using a landline and my iPhone), automated diagnosis on the phone, it was obvious that I sounded like I was talking "down a big steel pipe". Apple replaced the handset (7 months warranty left) and it's now perfect sound quality, as good if not better than my old 6. The Apple lady had no idea what was causing the problem and said she hadn't seen it before.

May 14, 2017 4:25 AM in response to CYNTHIA BAKER

So it seems that the plus model is having trouble because of its microphone locations and what they are used for. The receiver mic is up by the front camera, so when you talk with the phone pressed hard against your ear it muffles the voice and the voice detection software does not recognize that you are speaking. They need to fix this however for now try holding the phone a little lower on your face and try not to press it to your ear.

Dec 7, 2017 10:08 AM in response to CYNTHIA BAKER

I'm on SaskTel with a regular Iphone 7 in a lifeproof case since day 1. it worked fine from December 2016 to August 2017 then people were telling me that i sounded muffled. When i removed the case i sounded clear. LifeProof sent me a new case and its been fine until now (Dec 7, 2017) the case is clean and the mic holes are also clean. i've tried the hearing aid and noise cancelling suggestions and it hasn't changed. After reading all the others with the same problem i can confidently say its not the case causing the issue.

people can't hear me on iPhone 7 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.