Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SAP GUI 7.3 for Java: how to install on macOS Sierra 10.12

Hi MAC and SAP enthusiasts,

what are the steps to successfully install the SAP GUI 7.3 for Java on macOS Sierra 10.12?

reg,

wolf

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12), MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Oct 21, 2016 9:34 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2017 8:01 AM in response to wolfgang wiley

User uploaded file

Thanks wolf! I ended up not needing the converter because our institution already had a Mac installer with the config file embedded. However the trick for us was getting Kerberos "SNCLIB" talking to SAPGUI. Luckily at another discussion forum here

https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/3407704

and here

https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/2011188

The special SNC Library needed was found here

https://github.com/kaduk/osxsnc/releases/tag/osxsnc-1.0-beta1

It was compiled with XCode on 10.12 sierra successfully with the README instructions. To save the world the trouble, here is a download link of the compiled sncgss file

http://bit.ly/MacSAP_SNCGSS

After 10.10 things got really tricky with SAP. SAPGUI and Kerberos (TicketViewer.app) work successfully and independently, but there is a missing Java library so that SAPGUI can talk to Kerberos. Without the Java library that SAP never released, SAP technically does not work anymore. Kerberos will authenticate to your institution, and SAPGUI will install and open, however SAPGUI will not know how to talk to Kerberos.

Thankfully, someone wrote their own Java Kerberos library for SAP which I was able to find on the internet and manually compile with XCode. The resulting sncgss.dyld file is provided here with this instruction set.

I have successfully installed SAP on Mac 10.12 Sierra.

Once SAP is all installed and configured, here are the instructions to install the manually compiled sncgss.dyld file:

Perform the following commands in Terminal:

cp sncgss.dyld /usr/lib

sudo chown -R root:wheel /usr/lib/sncgss.dyld

sudo chmod -R 755 /usr/lib/sncgss.dyld

mkdir ~/.MacOSX >/dev/null 2>&1

defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist SNC_LIB "/usr/lib/sncgss.dyld"

______

Reboot and SAP should function normally!

Apr 5, 2017 7:04 AM in response to Marcus Hesse1

I realized after posting that I was on a developer system with csrutil disabled - which allows files to be installed in /usr/lib. However on a normal Mac you will need to install to /usr/local/lib. So the commands to install the file on a normal Mac actually will be:

sudo cp sncgss.dyld /usr/local/lib

sudo chown -R root:wheel /usr/local/lib/sncgss.dyld

sudo chmod -R 755 /usr/local/lib/sncgss.dyld

mkdir ~/.MacOSX >/dev/null 2>&1

defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist SNC_LIB "/usr/local/sncgss.dyld"

Oct 21, 2016 9:46 AM in response to wolfgang wiley

Hi folks,

I researched the task and share my experience: there are principally two steps required to successfully install SAP GUI 7.3 for Java on macOS (10.12).

Note Before You Start decide between SAP GUI 7.3 or 7.4 Java

If you have numerous systems listed in a typical saplogon.ini file you usually want to leverage this to import such settings into your SAP GUI 7.3 Java. Similarly as in Windows installations, you would point to the saplogon.ini file in the SAP GUI preferences (in Windows under »Options > SAP Logon > configurations«) as illustrated below. Since the saplogin.ini file comprises the system access data it will thus automatically set the correct SAP system connections.

User uploaded file

You even might insert a file link to a server where the most current version of the saplogon.ini file resides. This comes in handy if system access data like IP addresses change frequently and are updated to reflect the most recent changes. If your technical department gives you a file link that points to a server, it is highly recommended to use it in lieu of a file on your local machine.

With the new version SAP GUI 7.4 Java this changed, in that a file link is not supported anymore.

Unfortunately, to run SAP GUI 7.3 Java you will need to install legacy Java version 6 according to Download Java for OS X 2015-001

Recommendation: Should you plan to use a saplogon.ini file use 7.3 not 7.4.

What you need:

Step 1: Conversion of saplogon.ini from Windows to macOS

In an SAP environment you typically face the behemoth Windows installations, at least from a file size perspective. Thus the saplogon.ini file is targeted towards Windows OS. In order to use it on macOS it needs conversion. Luckily, there is a conversion program out there that is doing this for you. An excerpt from the corresponding thread authored by Mike Schernbeck (mike.schernbeck@googlemail.com) is pasted below:

To keep things short: I implemented a small tool, that is able to convert a saplogon.ini file in a way, that the information stored in it can be used by a SAPGUI for Java environments. It is implemented in Java. Here the link to JAR file: SapGuiIniToSapcConverter.jar. The tool can be used on Windows or Linux platforms, thanks to Java. Here is how to use it: Open your favorite command line (terminal on Linux / UNIX environments or command prompt in Windows environments) and type in the following command:

java -jar [complete path to SapGuiIniToSapcConverter.jar] [path to source saplogon.ini file] [path to target connections file]

The Java program for converting saplogon.ini from Windows to macOS.

Result: a macOS ready saplogon.ini file.

Step 2: Point to saplogon.ini file

In the SAP GUI 7.3 Java preferences go to Logon and insert the file path to the saplogon.ini file in the configuration file as illustrated in the figure above.

Hope this helps.

reg,

wolf

SAP GUI 7.3 for Java: how to install on macOS Sierra 10.12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.