Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my pictures from camera roll disappeared!!

i had thousands of pictures on my camera roll and they all of a sudden disappeared!! according to my storage there's still pictures on my phone but my camera roll is empty. i searched for a solution and i tried restarting my phone and turning on photo stream. when i turned that on my phone started reconvening my pictures and about 2000 of them started coming back in, but then the app crashed and they all disappeared again. i don't know now what to do those pictures are really important to me.

i haven't updates to ios10.0.2 yet i dont know if i should try to update now or if i should try to get my photos back first. will updating being my photos back or will they disappear forever if i do?? what do i do i really need those photos back.

iPhone 5, iOS 10.0.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2016 6:53 AM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2016 7:27 PM in response to cvdw91

Hello cvdw91,

Thanks for your question. From your description, it sounds like you may have enabled iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone 5. On your iPhone, tap Settings > iCloud. Is Photos turned on? When you tap on Photos, do you see a green switch beside "iCloud Photo Library?"

You can test this by launching Safari on your computer and going to the iCloud website.

If the images have not been uploaded to iCloud, and you have a backup of your iPhone from before these changes were made, then the photos in your Camera Roll can be restored.

I would not advise updating the operating system on your iPhone until you have determined what has happened to your pictures.

Please reply back to this thread with an update regarding your findings.

About iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream

Take care.

all my pictures from camera roll disappeared!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.