Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony HDR-HC1 iLink Convert HD to DV import not working

I have a Sony HDR-HC1 High Definition Camcorder. I shoot in HD and am trying to have the camera convert the HD to DV when I import the footage into iMovie.

I have set the option on the camera to convert the HD to DV on import. iMovie sees the camera but when I click on import nothing appears to happen. If I cancel the HD to DV on the camera iMovie imports the HD movie just fine.

Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks for your help

iMac, 17 Powerbook, 12iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 14, 2006 3:53 PM

10 replies

Dec 17, 2006 5:15 AM in response to willyg3

willyg3,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't explain myself clearly enough in my original post, I actually want to convert to DV when I import into iMovie. I find that iMovie is too slow on my computer when I edit HD footage, and as I am outputting onto DVD, that can't show HD, I though that I could speed things up by editing DV footage rather than HD.

Thanks again

Dec 19, 2006 10:45 PM in response to Kevin Plumb

Kevin,
I just got a new HC3, and I'm having the SAME problem as you.

For a very short time tonight, I DID get iMovie to recognize the "downconverted" DV, and was able to edit it.

I think I achieved that by some funky combination of turning on the "ilink convert", setting VCR out to "HDV", and then unplugging and re-plugging in my firewire cable.

Unfortunately, I forgot the precise order I did everything, and now I cannot get it to work again.

We need help!

Dec 20, 2006 12:41 AM in response to mdeforest

Five hours later... I SOLVED IT !!!!!!

In a nutshell, you must first "trick" iMovie by first importing some standard DV video from the camera into iMovie. Then, you can insert your HDV tape to finish the job.

Here's what works for me:

1. Disconnect Firewire cable from camera.
2. Set "ilink conv" to OFF, and set "vcr hdv/dv" to AUTO
3. Open iMovie (and create "DV widescreen" project)
4. Connect Firewire cable to camera.
5. INSERT A DV FORMAT TAPE (not HDV!!!)
5. Perform an "import" of a few seconds of that DV video. Then stop the import, but keep the "camera/scissors" switch on the "camera" (import) mode.
6. Switch "ilink conv" to ON ( leave "vcr hdv/dv" in AUTO)
7. Now eject the DV tape and insert the HDV tape.
8. Hit "import" again, and you should be good to go!!!

Sure, this is a hassle, but its a temporary fix until Apple can (hopefully) work out the compatibility bugs in iLife 07.

Jan 15, 2007 9:02 AM in response to mdeforest

Excellent result!

(..I posted a short HDV file here to solve the opposite problem of iMovie sometimes not realising that it's supposed to import HDV ..but it never occurred to me to use a short DV clip to "kick-start" it into DV mode instead of HDV mode when it detects an HDV camcorder trying to send down-converted DV footage..)

Brilliant solution!

Sony HDR-HC1 iLink Convert HD to DV import not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.