Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact photos in Messages notification

Hi there,

I'm using MBP 13-inch Early 2011 model with macOS Sierra (Ver. 10.12).

I remember when I was using El Capitan, I saw assigned photos from Contacts in the notifications for Messages; however, now it only shows person-shaped icons for everyone as below:

User uploaded file

Does anyone know how to set it show each assigned contact photo in those notifications?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12), 13-inch, Early 2011

Posted on Oct 23, 2016 6:00 PM

7 replies

Oct 25, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Sarge10709

Hi,

Ok, In the Main Chat window select the chat in the Side Bar that this person is in.

Use the Buddies Menu again and choose the Profile option and the Address Card tab

User uploaded file

You should see the Picture from the Contacts app.

The Profile tab may show you different.

User uploaded file

I am not sure where my computer is storing this pic.

I did try changing this Person's pic in the Contacts App and when I changed it back I briefly saw the one before (the one show three time above). It would seem there is something similar to the "Recents" option when you change your own picture.

User uploaded file

9:47 pm Tuesday; October 25, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Oct 24, 2016 10:25 AM in response to Sarge10709

Hi Sarge10709,

I understand that you are no longer seeing the image you've assigned for contacts in notifications when receiving messages from them. I know it's nice to be able to customize how your MacBook Pro presents information to you, so I'm happy to help.

Do you see their images when in the Messages app?

Let's start by quitting Messages and restarting your MacBook Pro before opening it again. To do that, select the Messages app to make it active and then in the menu bar along the top choose Messages > Quit Messages.

Once the app is quit, restart your MacBook Pro.

If you continue to have issues, see if the issue continues in Safe Mode:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

This article has some additional tips for troubleshooting software issues:

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 24, 2016 1:42 PM in response to Sarge10709

Hi,

Two other options.

IF you have a Buddy list or two in Messages highlight a Buddy and go to the Buddies Menu and then the Show Profile option

On the panel that shows up use both tabs to check the info.

The Profile one should show the Pic from the IM server (AIM or Jabber/Google most likely).

The Address one should show the pic from the Contacts App and this may be different (if you grabbed an earlier Buddy Pic to be their Address Card pic and their Profile Pic is more current from the Server).

There is also a box to tick if you want to use a particular picture.

Check the actual Contacts App still has a picture for that Contact/Buddy.

User uploaded file

9:42 pm Monday; October 24, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Oct 24, 2016 11:10 PM in response to norm123

Hi norm123,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work. I tried with Safe mode as well and still happened.

However, for some reason, now only one contact photo is not showing with the assigned photo rather than all. I tried to delete the photo and added back again. Still happened the same thing. If you have further suggestion, it will be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll try delete the contact and create again to see if it still occurs.

Contact photos in Messages notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.