Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find my WPA2 Password?

Recently I've had to re-install my Airport Extreme router, and a Airport Express router.

I don't remember what my WPA2 password is. I did the re-install on my iMac and it's working fine, but now my wife's computer is asking for the WPA2 password. I'm looking for suggestions where to find that.

Thanks!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 24, 2016 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2016 5:53 PM

On your iMac......

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the lower right corner of the smaller window that appears next to the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Now shift the focus of your eyes up to the uppermost top of the Mac's screen and locate the Base Station menu.....it's up there where you see the File, Window, and Help menu, etc.

Click on the Base Station menu

Click Show Passwords, and your password(s) will be revealed

Click anywhere on the screenshot below to expand the image, if needed.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2016 5:53 PM in response to MarcinOC

On your iMac......

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the lower right corner of the smaller window that appears next to the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Now shift the focus of your eyes up to the uppermost top of the Mac's screen and locate the Base Station menu.....it's up there where you see the File, Window, and Help menu, etc.

Click on the Base Station menu

Click Show Passwords, and your password(s) will be revealed

Click anywhere on the screenshot below to expand the image, if needed.

User uploaded file

Oct 24, 2016 6:09 PM in response to MarcinOC

I have never used Apples Airport devices preferring Netgear, but if it works the same way your password could be stored in Keychain Access. Go to your Applications folder and look for the Utilities folder (on your iMac) and Keychain Access should be 2/3rd of the way down - open the app.

Look for the name of your router under either "Local Items" or "System" and double click to open a widow, then click "Show password" bottom left and enter your password (usually the same as your computer login password), it should then show the password for the router.

If you have enabled iCloud Keychain it renames your "Local Items" accordingly - but I believe it contains similar info.

Be careful and don't save any changes if made by mistake, you just want to view without altering anything!

Oct 24, 2016 6:31 PM in response to SiHancox

Look for the name of your router under either "Local Items" or "System" and double click to open a widow, then click "Show password" bottom left and enter your password (usually the same as your computer login password), it should then show the password for the router.

The "KeyChain Access" method will work, but the user was asking for the wireless network password.....not the router admin password, which is usually different from the wireless password.

If you want to find the wireless network password, you need to search in KeyChain Access for the name of the wireless network, and then double click on that item.

Unfortunately, most casual users find the going difficult and confusing in KeyChain Access.....but it is one way to find a "lost" password if the other simpler AirPort Utility method won't allow things to work at the time.

Oct 24, 2016 7:42 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry, meant to say "network" and not "router" - I never save the Admin password so only have wireless networks showing under Keychain Access anyhow so I should have realised my mistake during typing.

I have always found it to be a good method to recover long forgotten passwords though, if treated with respect because as you also point out it can be a little intimidating and has the potential to cause some "damage".

Where can I find my WPA2 Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.