Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I "sign in to iCloud using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone."

Trying to get my Apple Watch to work again for automatic unlocking of my powerbook here.

It's asking me to sign my Apple Watch into iCloud. I'm sure it is already.

It says "You can sign in using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone."

So I load the Apple Watch app on the iPhone and where the heck do I sign into "iCloud"?

Very confusing!

Posted on Oct 25, 2016 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2016 7:44 PM

Hi

Follow the steps here:

Automatically unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

7 replies

Oct 25, 2016 12:39 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks - I tried this and it's still not working.

I can view on the Apple Watch app on the iPhone that my watch is using my Apple ID.

My same Apple ID is also on my MacBook Pro

Bluetooth and Wifi are on of course.

I had the watch working fine for unlocking my MacBook Pro - but recent update of Watch OS and latest OS X (as of October 25th 2016) seems to have broken this functionality.

Oct 26, 2016 8:03 PM in response to Bud Kays1

Update: I fixed my problem by rebooting my MacBook pro.

My Apple Watch always was on iCloud - so the error itself was incorrect.

After a few retries and fiddling, I did eventually see an error dialog box on the MacBook Pro indicating that there was a security issue with my iCloud password. That's when I decided to reboot the Mac and sure enough it seems to have fixed itself.

I'm back to using the Apple Watch to unlock the MacBook Pro.

Hope this helps others

Dec 10, 2016 8:29 PM in response to Bud Kays1

I have the same problem as well - for what ever reason (totally unknown!) my Apple ID required a password reset (I have two factor authentication enabled as well).

I didnt want to reset the password and it forced me to change it which I did - it then broke the link to open your macbook with your watch. Now when I click the button on macbook security to enable again it says to sign into to iCloud with my iPhone watch app (which is is) - it still does not work.

Tried resetting macbook, watch and iphone - still no dice....

Seems to me that Apple is loosing its user friendly 'switch it on and it works' reliability 😟

Dec 16, 2016 1:02 AM in response to thehappybroker

Same here, after the 10.12.2 update and a mysterious password reset requirement.

After multiple restarts of both devices, and despite continued error messages, the Unlock with Apple Watch box is now ticked... but the login screen still asks for a password. Hard to be sure if that's a continuation of this problem, or just the usual UWAW unreliability.

"Seems to me that Apple is loosing its user friendly 'switch it on and it works' reliability". Absolutely. Which wouldn't be so bad if they improved their generic, incorrect or simply absent error messages. Grr.

How do I "sign in to iCloud using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.