Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

red square around apple logo at startup

I installed Sierra (on my iMac (late 2015, 2.8 GHz) on 09/17/16. After installation, midway through the boot screen, a red square flashes very quickly around the apple logo. I started my Mac up in safe mode and the red square does not appear. I ran first aid in disc utility and it reveals no issues. Today I installed Sierra 10.12.1 and the issue is still there. Is this a sierra bug?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Posted on Oct 25, 2016 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2016 9:54 PM

hi dolphin lady, i too have had the same "symptoms" showing up since i installed the Sierra update. Has Apple given you any response as to what is going on? should we be concerned? i can find no thread that has Apple addressing this issue. infact, after the 10.12.1 install the red shows up about 3/4 of the way thru, the screen pauses and the progress bar turns green during this pause then it continues on like a normal boot up.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2016 9:54 PM in response to Dolphin lady

hi dolphin lady, i too have had the same "symptoms" showing up since i installed the Sierra update. Has Apple given you any response as to what is going on? should we be concerned? i can find no thread that has Apple addressing this issue. infact, after the 10.12.1 install the red shows up about 3/4 of the way thru, the screen pauses and the progress bar turns green during this pause then it continues on like a normal boot up.

Nov 3, 2016 3:38 AM in response to Dolphin lady

Hello,

I recently bought the same iMac model as you have, and have the same problem from out of the box. When the progress bar reaches about half way, the whole screen flashes and then the red square flashes up a few seconds after that. The square doesn't appear in safe mode. I tried resetting the PRAM, and also checked the disk via recovery mode (no faults found either) but there was no change. I upgraded to Sierra 10.12.1 and the issue persists. I've had a few Macs and this is the first with this problem.

red square around apple logo at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.