Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I open Terminal in Recovery Mode

I installed macOS Sierra last night and am now unable to open Terminal in Recovery Mode.

When I start up in Recovery Mode (by holding down the Command + R keys), the window that opens shows a small assortment of available utilities, but Terminal is not among them. Nor is Terminal in the menu bar (in fact, Utilities is missing from the menu bar also). How can I open Terminal in Recovery Mode?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Oct 25, 2016 10:19 PM

3 replies

Oct 26, 2016 9:15 PM in response to robtbass

Follow-up. Problem solved (maybe by Apple with new Sierra Update 10.12.1).

A few hours after posting last night, I did another search (this time with with the phrase “Terminal in Recovery Mode”) and discovered that the problem was discussed in several posts from last month.

A couple of the previous posts suggest that the problem might occur only on 2011 MacBook Pros (one post suggested that it might occur only on 15-inch models, but I can verify that it occurs on my early 2011 17-inch MacBook Pro as well.)

According to at least one other post, the problem seems to be intermittent (my own experience corroborates that observation).

All this may be moot, however, as the new Sierra Update 10.12.1 (which I installed only a couple of hours ago) seems to have fixed the problem—I hope permanently.

Many thanks to Barney-15E and Luis Siqueira1 for responding to my query.

How can I open Terminal in Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.