Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not getting Apple verification code on my devices

I have two devices I'm no longer receiving two factor codes on, and I have no idea why. I have to use SMS option just to login now (which counts against me ...).

How do I get these devices back in sync? They're the latest iOS (just updated yesterday). How will I validate things are back working without requesting too many codes? (I've temporarily disabled two factor auth trying to get a code... oops).

(put this in the iCloud community as it seemed most appropriate)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Oct 26, 2016 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 6:59 PM

Neat. I found I only needed to remove a duplicate of my PC in the trusted devices. It would appear that Apple are being very cautious over two factor codes going to devices no longer in the user's possession. So any duplicate will stop two factor working. When it comes to devices in your device list, it makes sense to disconnect any that arent needed. One has to be proactive to protect oneself. Apple does what it can but if you leave back doors open yourself then no-body can really help you be secure. If you think you have inadvertently exposed yourself to security risk then change your password for two-factor authentication and it cuts off the issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2017 6:59 PM in response to guice

Neat. I found I only needed to remove a duplicate of my PC in the trusted devices. It would appear that Apple are being very cautious over two factor codes going to devices no longer in the user's possession. So any duplicate will stop two factor working. When it comes to devices in your device list, it makes sense to disconnect any that arent needed. One has to be proactive to protect oneself. Apple does what it can but if you leave back doors open yourself then no-body can really help you be secure. If you think you have inadvertently exposed yourself to security risk then change your password for two-factor authentication and it cuts off the issue.

Oct 26, 2016 9:33 PM in response to Eric Root

They are, that's one of the first things I checked. Everything looks good there -- serial numbers even match. And they show successfully as "This Device" when I view them in my iCloud settings on the device itself.

So, iCloud IS connected. And it is recognizing my devices. But no verification codes are coming through ...

Oct 26, 2016 9:47 PM in response to Eric Root

Okay, I think I discovered the issue: "Trusted Devices" are not the same as iCloud devices...

On that page, when I went to edit Security settings, I saw I had "Verify 1 More Device" even though ALL my devices were already listed. In there, I had a duplicate of my iPhone?? So, I verified that, and sure enough: it showed on my phone!

So, I deleted all "Trusted Devices" and re-trusted them: that worked. I don't know how they became out of sync. That's a possible security hole! Apple was sending verifications to old, non-existing (old existing?) devices. :/

Either way: things look solved now.

I imagine things may have became out of sync when I did a settings reset on my iPhone a year ago (it has been that long; I just now decided to do something about it).

Thanks for the link. It did lead me into the right direction. +1 for you.

Not getting Apple verification code on my devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.