Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain 'login' cannot be found to store 'default'

Since updating my Mac Mini to Sierra, I'm getting the message in the subject all the time. If I open Keychain Access my login keychain is completely empty. It's also read only.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Oct 26, 2016 10:25 PM

5 replies

Oct 26, 2016 11:02 PM in response to cbjerg

Hello !

It seems , that your old keychain is problematic , to sort out the issue , make sure you have correct four digit iCloud verification code , passwords for your web mail , I cloud , Apple ID and their respective ids with you and of course the registered mobile with you .

Please open key chain access via spotlight and press ( command + comma ) to open keychain access preferences , click on reset my default keychain , the old key chain will be inactive and new keychain will be created with all permissions set .

Screen shots are there for reference :

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thanks !

Oct 27, 2016 12:36 AM in response to cbjerg

It seems you have gone to go to go folder ~/Library in the folder Keychain you have selected all the contents and emptied into the trash , please verify if they are in trash , restart the machine and empty the trash . The fresh contents will be created .

If it doesn't work in ~/Library find preferences folder right click on com.apple.Keychainaccess.plist and move to desktop .

Restart the machine and monitor .

Please post the result .

Oct 27, 2016 3:54 AM in response to cbjerg

Right now I created a new user account in my system , by going to users and group .

I have gone to ~/Library keychain right clicked on first alfa numeric folder and moved to trash .Restarted the machine and emptied the trash .

Then opened keychain access > its preferences > click on reset my default keychain .

And stated exactly as : Created a new empty login keychain with no password , please change password using edit > change password for keychain , your old login keychain was renamed & can be found in your keychain folder .

Show keychains OK

keychain 'login' cannot be found to store 'default'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.