Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Macrium images and Bootcamp

Hey guys. I have bootcamp partition in my macbook pro with windows 10. I have recently downloaded Macrium Reflect in order to back my system up in worst case scenarios.

However, on the very first screen I got confused as to which partition to include in the image file:

User uploaded file

So should I backup only the windows 10 (C) partition and exlcude the other 3? Or should I include partitions 1 and 3 as well? I just want to make sure I won't be messing up with OSX side when I restore these.

At the same time I do not know if the restore will work with only that single partition.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 27, 2016 6:03 AM

15 replies

Oct 27, 2016 8:45 AM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

OKay. So hypothetically if my windows partition gets corrupted I can use Macrium to restore it to its original state with no hassle at all?

The restore depends on the underlying partitioning during restore. You want it to match when the backup was created. This is why I suggested also backing up the corresponding GPT to ensure you have a match. Your Mac year/model and a MBR (if needed) will determine the effort required to restore Windows.

And also, if my disk goes bad, I can time machine my osx stuff to a new drive, install bootcamp, install macrium and put back my windows as well?

If you restore the Time Machine backup you will also get all your software back, including Macrium and Bootcamp Assistant. If you restore the entire disk, you will need to ensure the source state(at the time of back up creation) and destination (at the time of restore) match.

Oct 27, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Loner T

I'm confused now. 😟 I have a mid 2012 macbook pro.

If I replace my macbook for instance, would I be able to restore from my current macrium windows (C: ) image after having reinstalled windows in the new mac via bootcamp?

That is the only case I see where partitions would change, and even then, that's why I'll only backup the (C: ) right? So I can move it to wherever I want, as long as I have installed windows through bootcamp so the other tiny partitions are in the right place.

Id rather keep this as simple as possible. Time machine + macrium image + gptdisk would be too much to keep track of.

Oct 27, 2016 9:39 AM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

I'm confused now. 😟 I have a mid 2012 macbook pro.

If I replace my macbook for instance, would I be able to restore from my current macrium windows (C: ) image after having reinstalled windows in the new mac via bootcamp?

You should not restore a Windows image from one Mac model to a different model, due to BC driver differences. If you install Windows on the new Mac, are you just planning to restore files? It is better to copy files rather than restore the clone. Applications will need to be re-instatlled on the new Mac. Cloning Windows across Mac models has many issues.

That is the only case I see where partitions would change, and even then, that's why I'll only backup the (C: ) right? So I can move it to wherever I want, as long as I have installed windows through bootcamp so the other tiny partitions are in the right place.

A clone should be restored to the same sized partition on the same model. You also have to consider licensing implications of Windows, if the underlying hardware is different.

Id rather keep this as simple as possible. Time machine + macrium image + gptdisk would be too much to keep track of.

Yes, it can be tedious. A simpler solution is to use Windows Backup/Restore or File History to backup/restore the same hardware. Moving clones has much bigger challenges.

If you really need mobility with Windows, consider Windows-to-Go under Windows Enterprise.

I usually use an external D: which is portable, with the C: being a pure Windows OS. I can delete/recreate such a C: at will.

Oct 27, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Loner T

Ok, forget about another Mac then.

Let's just say I need to replace the hard drive or that Windows system got irrecoverably infected. In that case I would make the drive single again using bootcamp, then reinstall windows, set the partition the same size as the old one, install Macrium and restore from the image I created when everything was fine. Nothing seems drastically changed so that make sense right?

Oct 27, 2016 8:31 PM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

Partition 1 and 3 (from that picture) are the recovery partitions for OSX and WIN, correct?

No.

Partition 1 is the EFI (or ESP) partition and is mandatory on a GPT disk, irrespective of the OS installed. On some Mac models, Windows BCD and Bootloader is stored in this partition as well (the S: drive).

Partition 3 is the OS X Recovery HD. It is typically on the same disk as OS X on a single-disk Mac. It can also be on an external disk, if removed from the internal disk. Some of aspects of the SIP feature of El Capitan and later OS X versions depend on this partition.

Consider backing up the Windows partition. You should also back up the EFI partition if Windows is installed using EFI Boot. Another option, for the Microsoft directory on the EFI partition, is to clone Windows and the EFI partition at the same time. Bootrec.exe can be used to rebuild the BCD.

Help with Macrium images and Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.