Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple, please provide option to DISABLE peer-to-peer Airplay

I'm a loyal Apple user, among other things I regularly use Airplay throughout my home to stream audio and video to multiple speakers and my Apple TV, etc. But every time my wife or I go to Airplay from our iPhones or iPad, several of our neighbors' Apple TVs show up in our Airplay list, due to Apple's peer-to-peer Airplay (we live in a large condo building with many units relatively close by). In fact, we have accidentally selected a neighbor's Apple TV to stream audio or video before realizing the mistake. That's embarrassing!

I've since given our Apple TV a unique name to easily recognize it. But still, the appearance of multiple other Apple TVs in our Airplay list is not just an annoyance but a security concern. I understand how peer-to-peer Airplay can be a handy "feature" in certain situations, but it shouldn't be forced upon everyone, all the time. Particularly as Apple TV is gaining popularity, so people like me who live in large multi-unit buildings are being bombarded by peer-to-peer Apple TVs.

Apple should fix this in 2 ways. First, on my Apple TV, the option should exist to completely disable broadcasting peer-to-peer Airplay, so that only devices that are connected to my home network can see my Apple TV as an Airplay option. Second, on my iOS devices, I should be able to disable scanning for peer-to-peer Airplay devices, so that the list of available Airplay devices in iOS is limited to only Airplay devices that are connected to my home network.

Posted on Oct 27, 2016 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2017 1:16 PM

Still can't believe this is an issue. I've totally bought into the Airplay system and use it as a Sonos alternative to stream music and audio to speakers throughout my condo. But in addition to seeing all my speakers which are connected to my wifi, I also always see 2 or 3 of my neighbors Apple TVs in the list, which are not connected to my wifi. I can't even connect to those Apple TVs, as I've found out when I've accidentally clicked on them. Moreover, because they tend to pop up in the drop-down menu a second or two delayed, they cause the whole list to shift which is the reason why I've accidentally clicked on them a number of times.

This is just so stupid. Apple should figure out an option for me to select on my devices to IGNORE or HIDE any peer-to-peer Airplay devices, so at home I can just pick from my own devices. Come on.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2017 1:16 PM in response to esfr

Still can't believe this is an issue. I've totally bought into the Airplay system and use it as a Sonos alternative to stream music and audio to speakers throughout my condo. But in addition to seeing all my speakers which are connected to my wifi, I also always see 2 or 3 of my neighbors Apple TVs in the list, which are not connected to my wifi. I can't even connect to those Apple TVs, as I've found out when I've accidentally clicked on them. Moreover, because they tend to pop up in the drop-down menu a second or two delayed, they cause the whole list to shift which is the reason why I've accidentally clicked on them a number of times.

This is just so stupid. Apple should figure out an option for me to select on my devices to IGNORE or HIDE any peer-to-peer Airplay devices, so at home I can just pick from my own devices. Come on.

Oct 27, 2016 9:00 AM in response to esfr

esfr wrote:

First, on my Apple TV, the option should exist to completely disable broadcasting peer-to-peer Airplay, so that only devices that are connected to my home network can see my Apple TV as an Airplay option.

And how exactly would that work, it's your neighbours Apple TV's broadcasting that you are complaining about, how do you propose to ensure your neighbour uses such an option.

Second, on my iOS devices, I should be able to disable scanning for peer-to-peer Airplay devices

You can, turn off bluetooth.

Nov 6, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The first request was recently added: on Apple TV go to AirPlay and "select share only same network."

Unfortunately, most people do know this exists so they will continue broadcasting their TV and Airplay devices to my house.

You probably do not realize most people cannot turn off BT because their keyboard and mouse are using that, not to mention 100 other devices. It is a simple request to Apple to improve security and not mix my equipment with every other person in my building.

Nov 6, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Another wonderfully unhelpful comment from dear Winnie. If someone else's Airplay device shows up in my Airplay menu (which happens each day) and I accidentally click that other device when trying to select one of my own Airplay devices (which happens often for reasons described above), and that other person does not have any security set on their Airplay device, then guess what happens? Whatever media I'm trying to listen to or watch will start streaming on that other person's Airplay device. What if I don't even realize I've selected the wrong Airplay device for some time? While probably more appropriately described as a "privacy" issue than a "security" issue, are you, Mr. Churchill, really so compelled to nitpick semantics here? The situation Apple has created that leads to the accidental sending of content to somebody else's TV or speakers is certainly an "issue" to me and countless others.

I did see that my first suggestion was finally implemented by Apple. Nice! I guess my suggestion was not as poorly "thought through" as Mr. Churchill said it was. Still remarkable that it took so long to implement, and still it's not a default, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. More remarkable is that there's still no option to ignore Airplay devices that are not on my wifi network from displaying in my Airplay menus. Hopefully someday!

Oct 27, 2016 9:23 AM in response to Winston Churchill

And how exactly would that work, it's your neighbours Apple TV's broadcasting that you are complaining about, how do you propose to ensure your neighbour uses such an option.

Of course I can't ensure that anybody uses the feature, but I know I would certainly use it so that my neighbors don't see my Apple TV. Before posting, I came across many similar posts from people with concerns about peer-to-peer Airplay... so I'm sure there are others who would also use such option.

You can, turn off bluetooth.

But I use Bluetooth constantly with devices both at home and outside of home (e.g., link2cell at home to connect iPhone to home phone). So I have Bluetooth on at all times. Instead, Apple should refine it's software so that, when I am at home and using Airplay, I can choose to only see devices on my Home network.

Oct 27, 2016 9:54 AM in response to esfr

but I know I would certainly use it so that my neighbors don't see my Apple TV.

Even if you wanted the feature, that's rather sporting of you, I wouldn't do that.

So I have Bluetooth on at all times. Instead, Apple should refine it's software so that, when I am at home and using Airplay, I can choose to only see devices on my Home network.

Bluetooth as absolutely nothing to do with your network (or anyone elses for that matter). If you use Bluetooth a lot you should know then that it's indiscriminate and that and device that's discoverable and comes close to yours will show up.

Most of those that have posted about peer to peer Airplay have done so in respect of others disturbing them by initiating an onscreen message when they are viewing, this is actually a non-issue as it can be stopped by using a password rather than a passcode. That being said I do understand what you'd like to achieve, it's just that your suggestions aren't actually well thought through. You are best telling Apple what you want to see and let them figure out how to achieve it.

Oct 27, 2016 10:42 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Even if you wanted the feature, that's rather sporting of you, I wouldn't do that.

IMO its more a matter of privacy than being a good neighbor. Even with my Apple TV password protected, I still don't need all my neighbors seeing it as an Airplay device. Similarly, a lot of people use hidden/closed wifi networks – and Apple's Airports support that.

Bluetooth as absolutely nothing to do with your network (or anyone elses for that matter). If you use Bluetooth a lot you should know then that it's indiscriminate and that and device that's discoverable and comes close to yours will show up.

That's irrelevant. The issue is not whether other Apple TVs show up in my Bluetooth settings on iOS; the issue is that these other Apple TVs show up in Airplay on iOS. Apple sells/licenses a variety of products to use Airplay at home (e.g., Airport Express, Airplay speakers). Many people, like me, use Airplay (in lieu of Sonos or other options) for multi-room audio at home. It is annoying for several of my neighbors' Apple TVs to show up in the list of my home speakers. And, because my Airplay speakers and Apple TV are all connected to my home network while my neighbors' Apple TVs are not, it is surely possible to incorporate an option in iOS settings to prevent these other devices from showing up in Airplay.

That being said I do understand what you'd like to achieve, it's just that your suggestions aren't actually well thought through. You are best telling Apple what you want to see and let them figure out how to achieve it.

Um... thanks for your opinion?

Apple, please provide option to DISABLE peer-to-peer Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.