Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Update an Early 2009 iMac9,1 OS?

Hello,

A friend of mine is using an early 2009 iMac for his small business. It's never had any OS updates run on it. It's not compatible with Sierra so I was hoping to update to a previous compatible version but am unable to find older Mac OS in the app store. What can this Mac take for an update and how do I go about getting it? Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 27, 2016 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2016 8:35 AM

What does this have to do with early versions of OS X such as OS9, 8 and 7?

Would you like me to have this moved to the correct place (iMac Forum)?

3 replies

Oct 27, 2016 8:52 AM in response to WAMiller

An Early 2009 iMac is compatible with El Capitan (10.11). Sierra (10.12) requires a Late 2009 iMac (or later). This Apple web page has information about El Capitan.

Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

NOTE: Some third-party software may not be compatible with a later release of OS X.

It's a good practice to back up the Mac's current system and user data immediately before a major upgrade, especially if the Mac is used for a business. One way is the built-in Time Machine feature to back up automatically to an external drive. Another way is to create a bootable clone. For a "production" system, doing both is prudent. With a backup, the upgraded Mac can be restored to its previous state, if necessary.

Can I Update an Early 2009 iMac9,1 OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.