Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Link DVI to 2016 MacBook Pro options?

My current laptop is a MacBook Pro (Retina, mid 2012). I've got it connected to an HP LP3065 monitor (30") through the Apple "Mini-Displayport to Dual-Link DVI" adapter.

I've ordered the new 2016 15" MacBook Pro, and I'm trying to figure out what adapter[s] I need to continue using the same display.

With my current configuration, there are two cables needed to connect the laptop to the adapter. One is the mini displayport, and the other is a USB. Both are required for the display to work. I was really hoping with the newer / better / faster ports on this year's laptop, I could lose the clunky adapter and replace it with something that only took up a single port and wasn't nearly the size of the laptop by itself (OK, i exaggerate, but still it's an annoyingly large adapter).

There doesn't seem to be any 'Thunderbolt 3 to Dual Link DVI' Adapter. In fact, as best I can figure I'd need to use the current adapter plus another adapter connected to it ... I think the mini displayport will plug into Thunderbolt 3, and then I need a USB to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. (I'm not even sure that will work, but it's my starting point of what to try).

Anyone else dealing with this issue and found any solutions?

Thanks

Mike

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Oct 27, 2016 1:05 PM

45 replies

Apr 5, 2017 8:18 AM in response to monte-hansen

If your display did not come with a "captive" cable, Remember that there are two kinds of DVI cables:

• Dual-Link DVI cables have all pins populated in the grid, and the center pins are connected end-to-end.

• Single-Link DVI cables may or may not have the center pins de-populated, but have no end-to-end connection on the 6 pins in the center, shown in dark blue on this DVI diagram:

User uploaded file

click for larger

-- image from wikipedia

Jan 5, 2017 10:18 AM in response to SABEZ

Some conversions of DisplayPort require the adapter so assert "compatibility mode" signal to the computer. This means you must attach your adapter directly to the DisplayPort on the computer -- an intervening adapter eliminates the ability to assert "compatibility mode" to the output port. This is the reason for the broad general rule "you cannot stack adapters".

In the case of Dual-Link DVI adapter from Apple and similar, compatibility mode is NOT used to create the Dual-Link DVI signal -- it is re-created in the adapter from a DisplayPort signal. So in this one case, you CAN stack adapters.

The Apple USB-C to ThunderBolt-2 adapter appears to be a distraction because it does not support DisplayPort displays.

This user ScottCycle reports success withOUT the USB-C to ThunderBolt-2 adapter:

Re: Can I connect the new MacBook Pro 2016 (USB C) to a Cinema Display 30?

Jan 22, 2017 7:54 PM in response to myawn

I have a working solution to connect my Dell 3007 2560x1600 monitor to my late 2016 macbook pro.

I am using:

1. The Apple dual-link to dvi adapter: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB571LL/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-ad apter

2. Itanda dvi to usb-c adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2ORP84/

3. A regular old iPhone USB power adapter: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD810LL/A/apple-5w-usb-power-adapter

Connect the Apple dual-link to dvi adapter to the monitor dual-link input

Connect the Apple dual-link to dvi adapter dvi lead to the Itanda

Connect the Itanda to the macbook

Connect the Apple dual-link to dvi adapter usb lead to the USB power adapter (any USB power source will do)

M

Jan 24, 2017 11:02 AM in response to mmaaxx

Hi,

I have the same setup, except with a original apple "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2"

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2 -adapter

Doesn't work at all. Monitor doesn't even light up. What has the itanda more than the apple cable, for this not to work?

Want to make sure before I return the apple cable and order the itanda. Also no heat issues with the itanda as somone mentioned before with another setup?

best

Didier

Jan 24, 2017 11:14 AM in response to dj__72

Apple USB-C to ThunderBolt-2 adapter DOES NOT support DisplayPort displays:

Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays. For more information, visit the Apple Support pagefor the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

"The Apple Way" is that you connect Apple stuff together in an intuitive way and "it just works". This Adapter does not work "The Apple Way".

If I were naming it, I would call this thing the "Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt-2 Without DisplayPort Adapter".

Apr 5, 2017 11:15 AM in response to monte-hansen

Most successful conversions have used a USB-C to [Full size] DisplayPort (sold as "4K capable), then a "stunt cable" (short re-wire cable, no electronics inside) to Mini DisplayPort, then The Apple (or equivalent) Dual-Link DVI adapter, powered either by another USB port or an iPad charger connected to the pigtail USB lead.

This user ScottCycle reports success withOUT the USB-C to ThunderBolt-2 adapter:

Re: Can I connect the new MacBook Pro 2016 (USB C) to a Cinema Display 30?

Jan 4, 2017 11:34 PM in response to SABEZ

Any succes on connecting the 13inch? I have a MBP2016 13" as well and have tried 2 different cables already.

Last one to use was the https://www.startech.com/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-dvi-cable~CDP2DVIMM1MB and it does not give me the full 2560x1600, but a poor 1280x800 on the DELL 3007 WFPHC.

Apple Care says there's nothing they can do; jeez',thx. 😕

Hate to throw away my perfectly working Dell and having to purchase a 1050€ LG5k

DJ

Jan 5, 2017 9:28 AM in response to dj__72

Hi DJ,

Alas no luck. I tried cables from different manufacturers. Apple Care said it was an idiosyncratic issue. So at this point I'm stuck with a new monitor (Dell 27 inch to hook up via HDMI or Display Port) but haven't gone that route yet until I resolve a conflict with other software with TouchScreen. If anybody figures this out, please post.

Stephen

Jan 6, 2017 8:47 PM in response to myawn

Mike, can you reconfirm that you're getting the full 2560x1600 on your HP? I've read the reviews of the Startech adapter [https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-CDP2DVIW-USB-C-DVI-Adapter/dp/B01BJ0JCBC/ref =sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483763648&sr=8-1&ke…] and *every single one* says it does not support dual-link DVI - and several specify your HP LP3065 as well as the Dell 3007WFP (which I'm trying to solve, as well as Camuel here). I've tried virtually every solution: (a) the Dual-DVI to mini-displayport adapter + minidisplayport to Thunderbolt3 / USB-C adapter = no signal at all. And Apple's DVI-HDMI + HDMI - USB-C adapter = low res (single DVI) signal. I'd be delighted if this simple Startech solution worked but those who mention your monitor said it doesn't, plus Startech website itself warns it only supports lower res on older monitors. Counsel?

Jan 6, 2017 9:03 PM in response to 30 Year Apple User

--> oops, sorry - just re-read all Mike's posts and looks like he's getting full 2560-1600. Love to know why he's able to and so many of us others aren't. Could it be graphics card? He's got the Radeon Pro on his 15" and we have the Intel Iris on our 13", which has lower external display capability (but still easily hits 2560x1600)?

Jan 11, 2017 11:29 PM in response to myawn

Hi Mike,

I have the 2016 Macbook Pro and a 2560x1600 Dell 30" 3007WFP and got really close to having this working!

I am using the Cable Matters "USB-C to DisplayPort" adapter, connected to a "DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort" cable connected to the "Apple MiniDisplayPort to Dual-DVI" adapter. I was all excited when this chain worked, but after about 5 min the 30 inch screen went into standby for a second or two and then came back with the correct content and then a few seconds later it went into standby again, and came back and so on. This is repeatable when starting on a cold setup. First it works about 5min, then only for a few seconds at a time. This seemed to be a thermal issue, so I took a hairdryer in cold and hot settings to try to isolate which component is heat sensitive, but couldn't affect the repeated fall into standby. The screen as well as the Apple adapter still work just fine on a 2013 Macbook Pro.

Has anyone successfully used the Apple "MiniDisplayPort to Dual-DVI" adapter in combination with a 2016 Macbook Pro?

Jan 16, 2017 8:39 PM in response to gany

Hi gany,

I also have a 3007WFP and tried connecting to it from the same Cable Matters USB-C to DisplayPort adapter (ASIN B01K51GM46) and had the same behavior as you. Also got a no-name USB-C to Displayport adapter from a local store that wouldn't show anything. Both drive a DisplayPort 4K monitor without issue.

You may be right about the thermal issue, I popped it open and the main chip on the LED side was extremely hot.

I put a small USB fan blowing on it and so far it seems to be stable.

Jan 18, 2017 11:12 AM in response to gany

I opened up the USB-C to DisplayPort adapter here: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B01K5 1GM46

If you pry off the plastic on the DisplayPort side, you can push the circuit board out by the cable.

I'm also using it in conjunction with a DisplayPort to Mini-DP adapter: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2MDPMF6IN-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter/dp/B00 3N3DTKY

That adapter has been working fine on another device that has DisplayPort out, so it's not an issue.

Dual Link DVI to 2016 MacBook Pro options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.