Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight fails to index Word docs, but Siri DOES!!

I have the very latest Sierra 10.12.1 and Spotlight still isn't indexing my .docx files! This is a huge problem.

Re-indexing doesn't work. The posts in a 2013 discussion in Support Communities/Mac OS & System Software/OS X/Mountain Lion have been really helpful in troubleshooting this problem and putting it right at Apple's doorstep where it belongs. The posts in that old discussion, which continues on unsolved into 2016, are worth reading. Apple seems to be ignoring this HUGE problem, which effects the search experience of millions of users, whether they've realized it or not, so I made a new post under the current OS.

But get this: Siri DOES find my search word in new Word docs! But of course I have to have wi-fi turned on and have a connection to the Internet. That's kind of scary! Has Apple already indexed all my files on the Cloud? I don't even use the Cloud, and my Cloud usage is shown and nothing. I hope Apple hasn't merged with the NSA.

Please help!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 11:11 AM

20 replies

Jan 10, 2017 9:15 AM in response to jeffsyrop

I have macOS Sierra 10.12.2 installed. My System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results categories are all selected. I have no issue finding text in Word .doc/x documents. If I make changes to a Word document, and want these indexed right-away, I may logout/login, and indexing begins immediately.

In Spotlight, or Finder search window:

• astring kind:word
  • "white-space search" kind:word

I don't use Siri for the document searches.

Jan 8, 2017 10:28 PM in response to jeffsyrop

Found a bit of a workaround, though I'll admit it's not a very elegant one.

As it happens, I back up all my work files on my MacBook Air to OneDrive. I just discovered that the search box on OneDrive's website is halfway decent and *does* search within the text of DOCX files.

Annoyingly, you only have the option to "Search everything" so you can't limit your search to a specific folder. But you *can* narrow your search to particular files (like Documents) and to files you modified in the last day, week, month, etc.

I just gave it a try and a search for a keyword that turned up empty on a Spotlight search on a folder I knew had a document that contained the keyword worked when I did the same search on OneDrive.

If you've got a few folders that you're always searching, this might partially solve the problem -- though I agree it's a royal pain that Apple hasn't fixed this.

For what it's worth, weirdly I *do* seem to be able to find XLSX files that contain keywords, but not DOCX files.

Chad

Jan 8, 2017 10:48 PM in response to muckrakercs

So turns out you kind of *can* search within a specific folder using the "Search everything" box on the OneDrive website -- just type the name of the folder into your search.

Just gave it a try and when I typed in "folder name keyword" I only got the file within that folder that had that keyword in it, not the loads of other files I have in other folders with that keyword in it. Looks like you can also do the same thing with specific file extensions too (so like .docx). So you can make your search pretty narrow.

Hope this helps someone while we wait for Apple to come up with a more permanent solution.

Also: Someone mentioned using Word's own (clunky) search option to find documents with a particular keyword. I've never used this before and couldn't find it anywhere when I opened Word. Would appreciate a pointer on how I can find this (I'm using Word 2016).

Thanks!

Chad

Jan 9, 2017 9:31 AM in response to jeffsyrop

One other point: This problem may be not be universal (which is maybe why it hasn't been a huge priority for Apple).

The OneDrive folder I mentioned in my earlier post is synced to my iMac at home, which -- like my MacBook Air at home -- is running OS X Yosemite. I just tried searching on keywords from the Finder at work and it *works*. The exact search I couldn't do last night at home I can do on my work Mac. This is searching the exact same folder for the exact same keyword -- in both cases, a OneDrive folder synced to the cloud.

In case it's helpful, the one thing that's different from my Mac at home at my Mac at work is the version of Office that I'm running. I'm running Office 2016 at home (just recently updated from 2011, though was having the problem before the update, too). At work, I'm using Office 2008.

However, the files that I'm able to find on my work Mac are ones I created at home using Office 2016. But I know an earlier poster made reference to some "interpreter" file they replaced that got things working, so maybe there's something to that -- that the version of Office indirectly messes up Spotlight indexing.

Chad

Feb 9, 2017 11:51 AM in response to jeffsyrop

macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

I entered the text string “Pegasus-23-X” in LibreOffice 5.3.* Writer and saved it as a docx on El Capitan. I dragged this onto my iCloud Drive folder, and then on my macOS Sierra 10.12.3 machine, dragged that Word document directly to the Desktop from iCloud Drive.

Within 5 minutes, I could perform a successful Spotlight search on that preceding string, and isolate the single docx document on the Desktop. Same result in the Finder Window search box. This is not a unique occurrence, as my Word document searches are consistently accurate on either El Capitan or Sierra. I don't use Siri.

Check that your boot partition is not stuck in System Preferences : Spotlight : Privacy panel, and that Document category is checked in Spotlight Results panel.

Oct 29, 2016 11:00 PM in response to jeffsyrop

I agree; that is scary.

I posted to the earlier thread on this, and I still have not figured out the problem, despite--as I said there--getting a senior advisor from Apple on the phone.

How is it that a Mac does not perform one of the most basic functions of a computer--searching content?

In your earlier posts on this you mention workarounds. Is there a workaround or alternative app that you are using at the moment, as Apple continues to ignore this issue?

Oct 29, 2016 10:59 PM in response to klk9876

klk9876 wrote:

I agree; that is scary.

I posted to the earlier thread on this, and I still have not figured out the problem, despite--as I said there--getting a senior advisor from Apple on the phone.

How is it that a Mac does not perform one of the most basic functions of a computer--searching content?

In your earlier posts on this you mention workarounds. Is there a workaround or alternative app that you are using at the moment, as Apple continues to ignore this issue?

FWIW, just as OSX doesn't natively support writing to NTFS formatted drives, it doesn't support .docx files. It does support searching .doc files by content. As far as why you would have to ask Apple.

As far as a workaround, you can open .docx files in Pages and save it as a Pages document and search that file for content for example.

Oct 29, 2016 11:00 PM in response to klk9876

You're welcome. It is not a problem. I think it has to do with an arrangement between Microsoft and Apple. Whatever the reason as you pointed out, it's been true for years. It's not as if Apple couldn't read/search .docx files. After all, Pages can read docx files. There is a reason docx files are treated differently. Personally i don't know what the reason is.

Oct 29, 2016 11:55 PM in response to dialabrain

This workaround is helpful to me, because I have one main 1,000-page Word doc (a business/personal journal) that I need to search all the time. It contains much BUT NOT ALL of the information that I must search through on my hard drive to research certain events and concepts. Spotlight is such a better search engine for a Word document than Word's own rigid search function, so it's frustrating when I look for information to have to 1) use Spotlight to search all non-Word documents on my hard drive, and then 2) use Word's crummy search feature on my big journal and a couple of other key documents.

The interesting thing is that if you read all the posts in the old thread, you see that doing a save-as temporarily worked for somebody, and that under certain circumstances, Spotlight CAN index new .docx files. But then, after the next time you do a regular save of the document, it's no longer indexed. This seems like something Apple could fix so easily. I sent a copy of yesterday's post to Apple as a bug report, by the way.

I should have mentioned to you guys that I'm using Office 2011, which I keep perfectly up to date--Microsoft is still making frequent updates for this version of Office. But I feel sorry for klk9876 because he/she has MANY Word docs, and the workaround of saving Word docs as Pages docs would not be practical.

I contacted the maker of EasyFind today, and while this good free app searches content in text files of all kinds (html, etc.) quickly, it absolutely does NOT search Word docs.

APPLE, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Note: I was wrong about Siri indexing and finding words in Word docs! I had to figure out the command by trial and error. It's "Find documents containing [word]".

So I was wrong--Siri DID NOT find my Word file containing the word "abracadabra". Yesterday, when I thought it had, it had actually found EVERY document on my hard drive, and it only showed the first 8 or so, with my big word doc being near the top, since I had just worked on it! I didn't notice until today that it said at the bottom of my search results, in a clickable link: "See all 21,570 results in Finder". So sorry for the confusion.

Spotlight fails to index Word docs, but Siri DOES!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.