Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS to Track Loved Ones - Apple Watch

I have a loved one with Alzheimer's, and I was told that with the new Apple Watch gps, I could track her as long as she has the watch on. I got her the Watch, but now I'm not sure how to set it up so that I can track HER watch on MY iPhone. Can anyone help?

Apple Watch Series 2, iOS 10.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 6:20 PM

Hi

Apple Watch Series 2 can use GPS and a trusted Wi-Fi connection to show you its approximate location. Keep in mind that Apple Watch does not have built-in cellular capability, so it cannot be located when it does not have access to a trusted Wi-Fi network. Location sharing also depends on factors including the watch being turned on and having sufficient battery charge.

In order to set up and use Apple Watch, your loved one will need an iPhone 5 or later, running the latest version of iOS:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

To be able to track the location of the watch via the Find My iPhone app on your own iPhone, you would then need to add your loved one to your family group via Family Sharing and they would need to agree to share their location with you:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Once this has been set up, you can (subject to the various limitations) check the location of the watch using the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone or via iCloud.com:

For help with setting everything up, you may wish to contact Apple Support (or make a Genius Bar reservation), taking advantage of the initial 90 days of complimentary technical support that is included with Apple Watch:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2016 6:20 PM in response to BlueLoopPam

Hi

Apple Watch Series 2 can use GPS and a trusted Wi-Fi connection to show you its approximate location. Keep in mind that Apple Watch does not have built-in cellular capability, so it cannot be located when it does not have access to a trusted Wi-Fi network. Location sharing also depends on factors including the watch being turned on and having sufficient battery charge.

In order to set up and use Apple Watch, your loved one will need an iPhone 5 or later, running the latest version of iOS:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

To be able to track the location of the watch via the Find My iPhone app on your own iPhone, you would then need to add your loved one to your family group via Family Sharing and they would need to agree to share their location with you:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Once this has been set up, you can (subject to the various limitations) check the location of the watch using the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone or via iCloud.com:

For help with setting everything up, you may wish to contact Apple Support (or make a Genius Bar reservation), taking advantage of the initial 90 days of complimentary technical support that is included with Apple Watch:

Nov 2, 2016 7:00 PM in response to BlueLoopPam

Note that battery life of up to 5 hours applies when recording a workout via the Workout app, which involves continuous heart rate monitoring.

When not recording a workout, Apple Watch measures heart rate much less frequently.

In tests, Apple achieved 18 hours of battery life with the following use (including background heart rate measurements): 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth.

More information:

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

GPS to Track Loved Ones - Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.