Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a GTX 1050 Work on my Mac Pro?

Hey guys, i just have a quick question. I am wanting to upgrade my Nvida Gt 120 Graphics card to a Nvida Geforce Gtx 1050. I know i need to install new drivers. Will this card fit and work in my mac? I know i have to get more power. This card will be used for After Effects, Premier Pro and Final cut. I'll also use it for some games such as Rocket League and Gta V. Anyways thanks for reading.

Specs:

Mac Pro 4.1 (Early 2009)

OSX Sierra (10.11.0)

16 Gb Ram

3.33 GHz Quad Core intel Xeon e5

NVIDA GeForce GT 120 512 Mb

3 TB of storage

Mac Pro, iOS 10.1, Operating system is 11.0 (Seirra)

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 10:20 AM

I have 2 Mac Pro 2012 2x6-cores.

Each came installed with the ATI Radeon HD 5770.

I have installed the GTX 1050 on one and the gtx 950 on another.
Both work, albeit without the boot screen.
To get the boot screen, I keep the original card in for one monitor that doesn't require 4K capability.

I also installed the NVIDIA web drivers.

Just make sure you order yourself through amazon or something, some mini-6pin to 6pin power cable for video card.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 10:20 AM in response to tko03

I have 2 Mac Pro 2012 2x6-cores.

Each came installed with the ATI Radeon HD 5770.

I have installed the GTX 1050 on one and the gtx 950 on another.
Both work, albeit without the boot screen.
To get the boot screen, I keep the original card in for one monitor that doesn't require 4K capability.

I also installed the NVIDIA web drivers.

Just make sure you order yourself through amazon or something, some mini-6pin to 6pin power cable for video card.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2017 9:04 AM in response to tko03

As per the almost identical thread here - How compatible is the EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card the answer is that these newer cards currently have no Mac drivers available for them.

It is possible to currently use them in a classic Mac Pro but only when using Windows via Boot Camp. You will have to wait for Mac drivers before these cards can be used in OS X. This is on the assumption drivers will eventually arrive.

Jan 10, 2017 6:25 AM in response to tko03

I can't believe its been this long and Apple still hasn't attempted to work with nvidia to create drivers for the 10 series. Its not nvidia's fault. They are willing to create the drivers, but Apple isn't co-operating at all. This is absurd and needs to become a priority. It's been long enough. Obviously shows that Apple doesn't care about its customers after they've made their purchase.

Apr 14, 2017 1:13 AM in response to tko03

nvidia has announced the titan xp to work with osx:

https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/High-End-Grafikkarte-von-Nvidia-mit-Mac-U nterstuetzung-3677560.html

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Nvidia-veroeffentlicht-Pascal-Treiber-fu er-macOS-3683291.html

In how far a 1050 will be supported by the new pascal osx driver, i dont know.

greetings form germany

Chris

Jun 26, 2017 4:05 PM in response to tko03

I have a 3,1 early 2008 running 10.11.6 El Capetian I have the Nvidia Driver installed. And the firmware update from apple the system doesn't show a screen some times had lines figured a bad 8800gt installed a new GTX1050ti no screen still but i can remote view my comp via team viewer. I'm lost because in this thread i was seeing that it is possible and also seeing that it is not possible. do i have to install the cuda driver? how can i tell if i have installed that? I'm hopping it works if it doesn't then ill be buying a card from macvid.

Jun 29, 2017 6:48 PM in response to tko03

I just installed the EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4gb single fan unit (doesn't need a power cable) into my MacPro 4.1. Bought the card off Amazon for $135.

Downloaded the latest Quadro driver for Sierra 10.5 from Nvidia. I didn't install the CUDA driver because I've read on some forums that is caused issues with some video editing apps. My MacPro is setup for creative suite and I don't do video work.

After installing the driver and then the new GPU I restarted the computer with no issues. You will get a black screen until the login screen appears.

Aug 16, 2017 3:15 PM in response to AlbertoQuemada

I used the Quadro 4000 or 5000 driver for Mac .. BUT I only get DVI monitor to show .. no HDMI or Display Port - this on EVGA Superclock 1050 Ti .. I pulled the card and put my old AMD 7850 in .. so I could have my multi-monitor support back .. I would appreciate help from anyone who has the magic formula to get multi-monitor support to work using the 1050 Ti

TIA seki

Jan 12, 2018 9:14 PM in response to alex7375

I tried the RX 560 from XFX and had to return it. Definitely did not work. All I got was the boot chime but black screen. No display. I have a Mac Pro Mid 2010 running the latest High Sierra. I read somewhere that it is specifically XFX that doesn’t work. I exchanged it for an Nvidia 1050ti from PNY. I’ll report back after the install to see how it works

Oct 29, 2016 1:02 AM in response to tko03

Presently there are not any Mac drivers for that series of cards.

The link kaz-k provides only supports:

GeForce 600 Series:

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce 200 Series:

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce 100 Series:

GeForce GT 120

GeForce 8 Series:

GeForce 8800 GT

Quadro Series:

Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac

Quadro FX Series:

Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX 5600

The cards do work with Boot Camp though with Windows drivers

Dec 4, 2016 8:11 AM in response to tko03

I bought that card, and have the same Mac Pro. I tried every NVIDIA driver I could find, (Nvidia doesn't make it easy to locate all the various Mac drivers). Most wouldn't even install with Sierra, the few that would didn't work. Monitor stayed black for a very long time after boot. I didn't expect to see the boot screen, but I did think it would eventually show the desktop 😟 I'm returning to the card tomorrow.

Will a GTX 1050 Work on my Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.