Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is noreply@email.apple.com a legitimate email address?

Hello,

I received an unusual email from "noreply@email.apple.com" on 9/24 stating that my iCloud account had been used to sign in to a MacBook Pro 13" on the West Coast named "macen" - I did not click on the link in the email (https://appleid.apple.com/) but navigated there to change my password from safari on my phone. I also discovered that I had about 50 texts to various numbers in China.

Is this a legitimate email I received? I was reading about John Podesta's email hack and I thought the m.o. sounded similar to mine (early-morning weekend notification, legitimate-looking email, panicky decision) - any guidance or input would be most appreciated!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2016 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2016 9:35 AM

That is a valid link. If you go to Apple - My Apple ID, you will see that you land in the same place. And sorry about the confusion regarding the email address. As I told Phil, I was looking at older Find My iPhone emails as well as iCloud account sign in emails and they had the two addresses I cited. After Phil's post, I played a sound on my iPhone, and got the email from the noreply@email.apple.com address.

But again, I would recommend that any time you get an email with a link that is asking you to sign into any account that you go to the website via your browser rather than via the link. I just feel safer that way, at least 🙂

Cheers,

GB

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2016 9:35 AM in response to SingleSpyBattalion

That is a valid link. If you go to Apple - My Apple ID, you will see that you land in the same place. And sorry about the confusion regarding the email address. As I told Phil, I was looking at older Find My iPhone emails as well as iCloud account sign in emails and they had the two addresses I cited. After Phil's post, I played a sound on my iPhone, and got the email from the noreply@email.apple.com address.

But again, I would recommend that any time you get an email with a link that is asking you to sign into any account that you go to the website via your browser rather than via the link. I just feel safer that way, at least 🙂

Cheers,

GB

Oct 29, 2016 8:40 AM in response to SingleSpyBattalion

noreply@email.apple.com is not a legitimate address for Apple, so most excellent that you went directly to your Apple ID from a browser to change your password. There are several Apple "no relpy" email addresses. Among the are:

noreply@apple.com

noreply@insideicloud.com

It is always a good idea not to click on any link in an email, but rather go directly to the site via your web browser. But one thing you can do on any link in an email is hover over it with your cursor. The website url that the link will take you to will display directly below the link.

If you see any more strange activity, then I would recommend that you use the link that was provided by zinacef: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

You might also want to look into Two-Factor Authentication to make your account more secure, if you are not already using it:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

Oct 29, 2016 8:25 AM in response to SingleSpyBattalion

So regarding the email, there's no telling if it's fake or real. Telemarketers can spoof caller ID, I bet emails can be spoofed too. But what's more important is the security of your Apple ID. If you haven't done so change your password immediately. I also suggest enabling two factor authentication. When somebody tries signing into your Apple ID it will alert your Mac or iPhone and you have to allow the sign in and enter a code. Anyways I hope you can get this sorted out!

Oct 29, 2016 9:38 AM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine wrote:

Cheers,

GB

I'll totally second and endorse that suggestion. As a matter of security, its always better to type in the address you want to go to if you are going to be providing login details of any kind.

Oct 29, 2016 8:36 AM in response to SingleSpyBattalion

Here's the thing, the address noreply@email.apple.com is one that Apple uses when sending informational mails such as a receipt when you purchase something or a notification of this nature.

However, email "From" addresses can be easily spoofed. So that is no guarantee it came from Apple but its possible it did.

With that said, changing your password was the correct step.

If you have any other service that uses the same password for any reason, its strongly suggested it to change it there too.

Beyond that, the best protection is a strong password, and to not fall for these types of emails.

Oct 29, 2016 9:07 AM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine wrote:

noreply@email.apple.com is not a legitimate address for Apple,

Sure it is. Things like Find My iPhone will use it to send notifications. I have several from that address. When I misplace my iPad I use the "Make a sound" option in find my iPhone to find it, and i get an email form that address every time.

Is noreply@email.apple.com a legitimate email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.