Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Window Resize / Placement Not Remembered After Restart

If I open a new finder window, resize it and make a couple of adjustments, move it to a new location on the screen, close it . . . the next new finder window opened maintains all of the "saved" attributes (size, columns, etc.), along with where the previous finder window was placed on the screen . . . even after a restart.

There have been occasions after some of my previous system updates where the finder size / placement is not remembered after a restart, but I would just throw away the com.apple.finder.plist file in my User/Library/Preferences folder, restart my mac, make the necessary adjustments, and all would be fine. But now with Sierra, throwing away the com.apple.finder.plist isn't fixing the issue. The adjustments are remember during current login, but restarting my laptop, the finder window resize / placement is forgotten . . . a new finder window is small and appears in the middle of my screen.

Any other suggestions of what is corrupting my preference?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Oct 29, 2016 6:47 AM

11 replies

Oct 30, 2016 4:34 AM in response to Steve Dutton

Sorry it didn´t work! My Finder window stays as I want it after re-starting and login/logouts. As you´ve already done the obvious by dragging com.apple.finder.plist to the trash and re-starting

I´d suggest maybe trying the following, it can´t hurt:

1. Set up a Findow window the way you want it, close it and re-start in Safe Mode (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25617?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)
  2. When the Finder has appeared in Safe Mode (takes a bit of time, be patient!) re-open a new Findow window and see if it´s still the same as you adjusted it. If it is then the problem probably lies, I would think, with some non-Apple software or extension.
  3. Re-start as normal and then disable all startup items you may have in your startup folder by opening System Prefences and looking under “Users & Groups” startup objects.
  4. Re-start and see if the probem persists. If everything´s OK, re-enable your startup items one by one and re-starting until you find the one causing trouble.

I´m sorry this sounds a bit log-winded and I´m sure you know all this but it´s what I´d do first. And I personally wouldn´t use any software that messes with the Finder (“XtraFinder” and the like) although macOS Sierra is well protected by SIP! But that´s just my opinion!

I´ve done some Googling, and there are some articles about this problem occuring in earlier OS versions.

If all else fails maybe a clean OS install is worth trying after doing a full backup with, say, Time Machine…time consuming and one **** of a nuisance, but there we are!! Good luck! Ian

Oct 31, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Ian Leckie

I set up my Finder window, restarted in Safe Mode . . . new Finder window opens in the middle default position. So then I set up my Finder window in Safe Mode (to see if that might make a difference), but upon restart, the Finder window opens in the middle default position.

This actually was a clean install. I had cloned my internal drive to an external, wiped my internal and installed Sierra .1, then migrated my external to internal . . . very frustrating. My MacMini (running Sierra) doesn't have this issue with any of the five users; it's only happening on my login on my laptop.

Oct 31, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Steve Dutton

Sorry nothing helps. You´ve certainly done everything I would have, and I can´t think of anything else except (if you´re near an Apple Store?) making an appointment with the Genius Bar and taking your laptop in to them! I´m surprised none of the real "techies" on this forum haven´t come up with some other ideas! Perhaps post again with a different title and see if that attracts them? Such issues are terribly annoying but there must be a solution!! Anyway. good luck! Ian

Nov 2, 2016 3:17 AM in response to Ian Leckie

I did another clean install. No affect. I used the Terminal to remove all .DS_Store files on my laptop. No affect. I disabled all login items, launch daemons, launch agents. No affect. I used BatChmod to give both my System and User Preference total Read / Write capabilities. No affect. I wish I knew where that particular preference is saved.

Nov 25, 2016 7:25 AM in response to Steve Dutton

Hi Steve! Glad you found a fix! I last used Onyx in Yosemite and by tinkering around with settings I didn´t really understand got into a terrible mess and had to wipe my HD and do a clean install!! My own fault of course and I learned yet another lesson the hard way, and I haven´t installed or used Onyx since...a very powerful but potentially very dangerous tool IMHO!! You´re obviously braver than I am and know more about what you´re doing 😁 !!! It would be interesting to know just what Onyx did, though. Cheers, Ian

Finder Window Resize / Placement Not Remembered After Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.