Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a CardDAV account password?

Ever so often I get a question to enter the password for cardDAV - when I try to add contact or calendar information. I am not aware of ever having had a password or entered an agreement with cardDAV. What is this and how can I get rid of this??

I have googled the and found several threads a couple of years back saying that this issue is connected to yahoo - but I donut have a yahoo account....

I should add that I have an iPhone SE, iOS10 (if this has anything to do with this).

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 29, 2016 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2016 12:06 PM

CardDAV is simply a method to save contact data on a server so that you can 'subscribe' to that service & have the same data on different devices. CalDAV is used for calendars.

It could be an error with iCloud or possibly any other service - it is not just a Yahoo feature, it is a standard for sharing this type of info.

Next time the error appears take a screen shot of the dialog – press cmd+shift+4 then drag the crosshair over the dialog - it will grab that area of the screen. Post the image from the Desktop here via the camera icon on the form.

You can also examine Contacts (or Address Book). Look in the Preferences to see what accounts are setup.

Frankly these dialogs can occasionally appear if you have flaky internet or if the service is not very reliable, but you should try to confirm what service it is from.

P.S. Are you using OS X 10.7? Apple menu > About this Mac will state the version.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2016 12:06 PM in response to pomonapomona

CardDAV is simply a method to save contact data on a server so that you can 'subscribe' to that service & have the same data on different devices. CalDAV is used for calendars.

It could be an error with iCloud or possibly any other service - it is not just a Yahoo feature, it is a standard for sharing this type of info.

Next time the error appears take a screen shot of the dialog – press cmd+shift+4 then drag the crosshair over the dialog - it will grab that area of the screen. Post the image from the Desktop here via the camera icon on the form.

You can also examine Contacts (or Address Book). Look in the Preferences to see what accounts are setup.

Frankly these dialogs can occasionally appear if you have flaky internet or if the service is not very reliable, but you should try to confirm what service it is from.

P.S. Are you using OS X 10.7? Apple menu > About this Mac will state the version.

What is a CardDAV account password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.