Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the least expensive way to go wireless?

I finally broke down and ordered DSL from AT&T. I didn't order the wireless modem option because my friend was going to give me a free Airport. Turns out she doesn't have one.

AT&T sent me a small DSL modem and I have no problems with it, but I want to go wireless.

What's the most cost-effective way to do it -- using Apple products or without? I don't want to spend $130+ on Airport hardware if I don't have to. Seems like there must be some generic hardware at Radio Shack or CompUSA or MacMall.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2006 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2006 11:05 AM

Hello! Welcome to the world of Broadband! You can purchase any wireless G router and hook it up to the DSL modem via Cat-5 cable. I actually purchased my router from Wal-Mart for about $60 or so. Just remember, when you go wireless, it's best to have WPA2 security enabled so you don't have any casual lurkers stealing your bandwidth. Good luck!
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2006 11:05 AM in response to bajoro

Hello! Welcome to the world of Broadband! You can purchase any wireless G router and hook it up to the DSL modem via Cat-5 cable. I actually purchased my router from Wal-Mart for about $60 or so. Just remember, when you go wireless, it's best to have WPA2 security enabled so you don't have any casual lurkers stealing your bandwidth. Good luck!

Dec 15, 2006 1:18 PM in response to TroyAllen

Are we talking about the new C2D with the pre-n card? If so, then you are probably right. However, I have a MacBook CD and I have a motorola wireless router running 802.11g with WPA2 and it connects just fine. I have also used our linksys router at church with no problem as well. I'm not sure of the C2D models with the supposed pre-n wireless card.

Dec 15, 2006 1:31 PM in response to TroyAllen

User uploaded fileTroy, the problems often mentioned on these boards mention Linksys as the problems and the others work fine. It seems that certain versions of the Linksys firmware do not play nice with Macs. Unfortunately you cannot tell what you are getting before the purchase is made since there is no mention of details on the box.

I use Netgear at home and it gives me complete coverage throughout my ranch home. I have the WGR614 which is on sale this week for $40 at Best Buy. Nice price on a good router.

I also regularly connect to a D-Link and Belkin router without problems. The only ones that give me issues are Linksys.

Avoid the draft N stuff since the card in your Mac does not have the N capabilities unlocked with Apple drivers. The N standard is still a draft standard and it may change enough when ratified to render your equipment useless.

A lot of people also think that the N networking will make their internet faster. It will not. Most ISPs in the States provide service at 4-8mbps and even standard G will work at 54mbps - much faster than your ISP is giving you.

Dec 15, 2006 2:08 PM in response to Eric Kracinski

I would suggest for ease of use and connectivity, try your local online auction site. Some AirPort Extreme Base stations are going for low $$$. I am currently using a graphite 802.11b station for 3 Apple computers in my house and it works fine. The only draw back is the limit of ports on the Base Station. But those Graphite Stations could be had for less than $40 if that would serve your purpose.

Note... Old Apple base stations are most WEP. For added security, try to get the newer models which are WPA encrypted.

Good luck and you will love it once you go wireless.

Adam

What's the least expensive way to go wireless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.