Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

StatusBarApp

Every time I start Sierra an app "StatusBarApp" want me to confirm that it can change my status bar. Never seen before Sierra. What is this?

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1

Posted on Oct 30, 2016 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2017 10:36 PM

When I see this, there's a lock icon with a wireless fan overlaid (like the one below). This is a status bar from /Library/Applicationn Support/WLAN which came with my Edimax USB Wifi card (Realtek chipset).

Yours may be different, but you can find out by opening a terminal window and running:

ps -ef | grep -i statusbarapp

I got:

0 1558 1 0 10:26pm ?? 0:00.08 /Library/Application Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app/Contents/MacOS/StatusBarApp

and from this, I can see it's in the WLAN directory, which I happen to know was installed when I added the USB Wifi driver.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2017 10:36 PM in response to gte47

When I see this, there's a lock icon with a wireless fan overlaid (like the one below). This is a status bar from /Library/Applicationn Support/WLAN which came with my Edimax USB Wifi card (Realtek chipset).

Yours may be different, but you can find out by opening a terminal window and running:

ps -ef | grep -i statusbarapp

I got:

0 1558 1 0 10:26pm ?? 0:00.08 /Library/Application Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app/Contents/MacOS/StatusBarApp

and from this, I can see it's in the WLAN directory, which I happen to know was installed when I added the USB Wifi driver.

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2017 10:39 AM in response to gte47

Thanks for the leads; they were helpful.

I think I got the alert to go away.

I opened the Terminal app and issued the following command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/WLAN/StatusBarApp.app/

It'll prompt you for you user password once to authorize the change but after that, you shouldn't be bothered.

What this does is it changes the StatusBarApp to be executable by any user. The "-R" changes things recursively so that all the elements within StatusBarApp are also made executable. It's possible that a more conservative permission scheme would work just as well but I'm happy with this solution.

If you are new to Terminal, please be careful and type commands exactly as written; otherwise you can make undesirable system-wide changes in some operating systems.

StatusBarApp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.