Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem using PS4 Dualshock with Shadow of Mordor game

Hi

I recently bought Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor from the app store. Then (in accordance with the Feral compatibility list - http://support.feralinteractive.com/docs/en/shadowofmordor/latest/steam/faqs/#i_ controllers - purchased a Sony PS4 Dualshock Gamepad, to use with it.

I've successfully paired the controller wirelessly with my MBP (I can also connect via USB). However, when I launch the game the controller has no effect.

I've read endless threads on the web about how simple it is & how it "just works". But not for me.

Is there something I've missed? Is there some driver or 3rd party software I need to install? Or is there a tweak I need to make to the settings in the game?

If anyone out there has any ideas - they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 2.7ghz 16gb

Posted on Oct 30, 2016 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2016 1:05 AM

Check the Sony website to see if there is a driver download.

5 replies

Oct 30, 2016 3:27 PM in response to Eric Root

I can't find anything directly from Sony.

Beginning to wonder of the version of the game Apple carries & the version Steam carries is different. i.e. the latter has games that are reconfigured to work with controllers. And the former not.

On some sites about using PS4 controllers with Mac they talk about "mapping" programs - like Joystick Mapper on the app store. These apparently allow you to manually teach the computer what each button on the Ps4 means.

Annoying really, as I assumed when Feral said "compatible" - that it meant out-of-the-box compatible.

Still hoping someone has some good news on this?

Oct 31, 2016 1:02 AM in response to ethanthemaker

Thanks for the suggestion. Did try this before, but couldn't make it work. It says:

"With OpenEMU, you can download and play classic arcade games, as well as old console games."

Tried various ways to make it function with Shadow of Mordor, but I'm not sure that it's meant for newer games.

To be fair, it does also say:

"Other games have built-in support for game controllers, and you can set them up using a similar process."

But I couldn't see how I could apply it to the game in question.

Maybe I'm wrong & there's a way to do it?

Oct 31, 2016 4:54 AM in response to Ewan Thomson

Ok.

For the record, this issue shouldn't exist. i.e. if you've got the same setup as me you shouldn't need any third party software/extra drivers etc to make it work.

I contacted Feral directly & they were really helpful.

They sent me a pList file to add directly to the game package in my Applications folder. Once this was in there & I re-booted the game it worked perfectly with the PS4 controller (it even flashed up the Playstation Controller icons).

On the one hand really great that they were on it and resolved it so fast. On the other bit annoying that it didn't work as advertised in the first place.

If you have similar issues - would recommend that you email them directly from the pre-game screen.

Cheers

Problem using PS4 Dualshock with Shadow of Mordor game

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.