Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

X-Rite XRD Software Update (OSX El Capitan)

Hello there,

I have been having the same issue for a long while: every single day at 9:00AM sharp I get an "XRD Software Update" icon popping-up on my dock and I don't know how to disable it. This is not harmful but very annoying... (I'm running the latest version of OSX El Capitan)

As a photographer, I had the screen of my MacBook Pro calibrated a few years ago in a professional camera store and since that day I have a "Pantone Color Manager" app installed on my hard-drive (which I cannot open because I don't have the license key). I guess I shouldn't delete it, but I suspect this XRD software to be part of it (X-Rite). I also tried to dig in my Library but I didn't find any X-Rite folder...

Anyone would know how to disable it?

Other stupid question: if I buy a new Mac and I transfer my informations using my Time Machine backup, will I still have this annoying XRD Software Update on the new Mac? If so, what should I do? Delete this Pantone Color Manager calibration stuff before doing a last Time Machine backup?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Lightroom 6.7

Posted on Oct 30, 2016 11:07 PM

6 replies

Nov 2, 2016 12:56 AM in response to caribougnal

The XRD component came along with i1Profiler, or other profiling software by X-Rite. They must have installed the software, calibrated the monitor, and then tossed the profiling software in the trash. However, that left the XRD software behind, that along with other functions, watches for an X-Rite device being attached to your Mac.

If you have no X-Rite devices, go to /Library/Application Support/. Toss the subfolder X-Rite in the trash. Restart.

Nov 2, 2016 1:07 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt,

In the mean time, on another forum (photography), I found this solution :

- Go to Macintosh HD>Library>LaunchAgents (not via User)

- find and toss the file "com.xrite.device.softwareupdate.plist"

- reboot

In fact, that is exactly what you were saying!

Instead of tossing, I dragged the file in a temporary folder (just in case I need it again, as I'm not a computer geek).

I will let you know how it goes ASAP, as I need to be in front of my screen at 9:00Am sharp.

Nov 2, 2016 6:25 AM in response to caribougnal

Ah! Missed that .plist file searching my drive (I use a few X-Rite devices). Looking again just now, in the Preferences folder of your account, there's also a folder named X-Rite, and a few .plist files starting with com.x-rite . At least on my system there is. It would likely depend on what software was installed how much of this you'll find.

With launch the item and the entire X-Rite folder from Application Support placed out of the system, the update pop-ups should stop.

Nov 5, 2016 7:45 PM in response to Kurt Lang

QUICK UPDATE!

So, like I said above, I dragged in a temporary folder the file "com.xrite.device.softwareupdate.plist" that I have found in Macintosh HD>Library>LaunchAgents. I then rebooted my MacBook.

I waited 9:00am the day after in front of my computer and I confirm: XRD Software Update didn't launch! PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you all 🙂

In the meantime, I also contacted Pantone Customer Support. Here is briefly what they told me:

"Pantone Color Manager software does not have any correlation to the profile you have loaded onto your computer. This software is used to get current Pantone digital libraries into design programs such as Adobe, Quark and Corel. It also allows you to create palettes and export these to design programs. If this is not something you are in need of you can surely remove it. I would recommend an uninstaller tool called ‘AppZapper’ as this will remove the program and all files associated with this. This is an option of yours but XRD and Pantone Color Manager software are tools that are used with the software and removing these will not affect the profile that is being applied."

Hope that will help anyone who have the same problem 😉

X-Rite XRD Software Update (OSX El Capitan)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.