Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export pdf from iBooks

Hi

I'm getting really frustrated here. I use my iPad for business-presentation, and have therefore a lot of pdfs in iBooks on my iPad. Some of them I only have in iBooks, meaning I don't have the original document anywhere else. How can I export these from iBooks? For some reason, when I use the export-button, it only shows 'Print', but not 'Email' (which would make things easy). Why is that? Those are my own pdfs, not som bought books with some kind of DRM. Shouldn't I be able to get them out?

I also tried iExplorer, but no luck – there don't seem to be any pdfs or other relevant kinds of documents I can find under 'Books', only sql-files and xml-files.

I also tried opening iBooks on my Mac, but it only syncs the books I bought from Apple, not a single pdf or book from another source.

Please help!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 31, 2016 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 7:31 AM

"Just emailing them to yourself" is an extremely unpleasant user experience and for a company and a device that is all about the user experience this response is both awful and insulting. When I point out the difficulty we Apple users have with this I am universally met with glad I stuck with Android or Windows. iPad/iPhone/iOS is mature technology so by now it is clearly intentional on the part of Apple management that it is OK for us to suffer. They have the talent to fix this. Apple management made the conscious decision to let users suffer.

I can also open each file one at a time in preview and then save it to a real folder. Same bad user experience. Apple made a lot out of drag and drop, and it just works. Well, someone fell down on the job. 'Antagonize the user' is not in the style guide. Well not when Jobs was running things.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2017 7:31 AM in response to King_Penguin

"Just emailing them to yourself" is an extremely unpleasant user experience and for a company and a device that is all about the user experience this response is both awful and insulting. When I point out the difficulty we Apple users have with this I am universally met with glad I stuck with Android or Windows. iPad/iPhone/iOS is mature technology so by now it is clearly intentional on the part of Apple management that it is OK for us to suffer. They have the talent to fix this. Apple management made the conscious decision to let users suffer.

I can also open each file one at a time in preview and then save it to a real folder. Same bad user experience. Apple made a lot out of drag and drop, and it just works. Well, someone fell down on the job. 'Antagonize the user' is not in the style guide. Well not when Jobs was running things.

Mar 11, 2017 12:11 AM in response to hanskfroschauer

I got Apple Support to call me to confirm this - they said that your original files uploaded to your iBooks iCloud Library will not be tagged with DRM and that you can export your original files back out. They also indicated that these files shared via Family Sharing should also be downloadable as original files without any Apple DRM by family members. I haven't confirmed it myself with checksums, just sharing what they've now officially told me whether it's right or wrong 🙂

Mar 11, 2017 9:10 AM in response to niall.young

I stored a bunch of my teacher material in iBooks. My material and material that was given freely. This material was gathered over years and was such a valuable resource for me and others. As teachers we are considered "Not High Achieving" if we do not share resources outside of our community. We also need to gain from that sharing as a community. Material is often given for free. Material which can take years to build. I had no idea I would lose all of my content when I broke my iPad screen and went to the Apple Store to replace the older one with a newer one. I thought I would die on the spot. They worked hard to try to find my files but I never got them back. I did have some copies elsewhere so I was lucky there. I have used GoodReader also but have a difficult time navigating once I am in there. Sure would be nice if ibooks just had a share button or send to button.

Mar 11, 2017 9:17 AM in response to keeyun64

Sure would be nice if ibooks just had a share button or send to button

Depending upon the PDF you might already be able to email them to yourself (which you can then use in the Mail app to 'open in' a different app) via the share icon that already exists, or you might be able to copy them over to your computer's iTunes library via File > Devices > Transfer Purchases (that has always worked for me for PDFs and/or epubs in the iBooks app) so that you can then copy them from your iTunes to a different app and take a backup copy of them.

Aug 15, 2017 11:14 AM in response to davydoo

Still works for me, I've just downloaded an ePub and a PDF via Safari on my iPad into its iBooks app, connected my iPad to my computer's iTunes and done File > Devices > Transfer Purchases, and then done File > Move Books From iTunes in my Mac's iBooks app - both appeared on the bookshelf in my Mac's iBooks app and I can read them. Both iPad and Mac are up-to-date.

Aug 15, 2017 11:21 AM in response to hanskfroschauer

I don't have my "Master iGadget Control Center" Mac with me at the time to test, but when you plug in the iPad to the Mac's iTunes it is "married" to, in the device's Applications tab, does iBooks show up in the list of installed apps? Default apps do not, but since iBooks is/was an extra, it might.

If it does, look in the bottom Files section of that window, select iBooks and see if your PDFs are there. If they do, you are in luck and you can copy them out to the Mac's filesystem ipso-facto.

BTW, that's another reason for using Acrobat or similar. It appears on the list, and you can use iTunes to upload/download/manage its load of PDFs with a few drags and clicks in iTunes.

Oct 31, 2016 6:42 AM in response to hanskfroschauer

Some of the PDFs (downloaded free from sites) in iBooks on my iPad only give the 'print' option via the share icon, they presumably have some sort of protection in them stopping the email option showing.

If you aren't using iCloud Drive for the iBooks app on your iPad then you might be able to copy them over to your Mac by connecting it to your Mac's iTunes and doing File > Devices > Transfer Purchases (that has always copied PDFs or epubs from the iBooks app, not just ibooks from the iBookstore), and then in iBooks on your Mac do File > Move Books From iTunes

Export pdf from iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.