Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update iPad 3rd gen to iOS 10

I have ipad 3rd gen and i am unable to update to iOS 10. The device appears to be compatible with iOS 10, however the notification to update never appeared in software update under settings. I have tried to check for software update by connecting to iTunes, but i get the message that current version 9.3.5 is the latest version of iOS.

Can anyone please guide on how to update iPad (3rd generation) to iOS 10 ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Maham

iPad, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Oct 31, 2016 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 2:24 PM

To answer your question "Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?" As someone who has both a Gen 3 and a new iPad Pro I like to use the Gen 3 around the house and the pro for work......the reason someone might want to update it is because even some of the basic apps such as the Apple Store app won't run unless you download the new version of the app and the app won't download unless you are running iOS 10 or newer.

Just something I ran into.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2017 2:24 PM in response to MichelPM

To answer your question "Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?" As someone who has both a Gen 3 and a new iPad Pro I like to use the Gen 3 around the house and the pro for work......the reason someone might want to update it is because even some of the basic apps such as the Apple Store app won't run unless you download the new version of the app and the app won't download unless you are running iOS 10 or newer.

Just something I ran into.

Nov 29, 2017 9:44 PM in response to weksa

The same iPad 3 users who whined and moaned and groaned that both iOS 8 and 9 slowed down the performance of their iPad 3 models would come back, once again, in angry droves, with even more complaints of slowdowns under iOS 10 or iOS 11.

FYI,

Just because your iPad 3 is no longer able to upgrade to the latest iOS doesn't mean your iPad 3 is suddenly useless.

Your iPad 3 will work as it always has and the apps you have installed on it will continue to update and receive some level of app updates relevent to your current iOS.

You have had four years of iOS upgrades and updates.

Your iPad 3 will still do everything it does now and you will, get, at least, another full year, perhaps two, if you decide you want to wait longer to get a new or newer iPad model.

You’ll just not be able to install any brand new apps that require iOS 10 or 11.

Your iPad 3 is NOT, suddenly, becoming obsolete or useless.

So, your options are really keep using your iPad 3 or purchase a new iPad if you feel you need or want to.

Your current iPad 3 will still work and continue to receive app updates until sometime in the near future when, with the recent introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps will come to a final end.

Your iPad 3 will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime in the foreseeable future.

The final app updates your iPad 3 will end up receiving will be their last!

Your iPad 3 should STILL be receiving app updates, currently, but look for this to end at some very soon later date.

I am still using iPad 2 and 3 models and they are still receiving plenty of app updates under iOS 9.3.5.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of the recent introduction/release of iOS 11, which WILL render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete, in time.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 31, 2016 9:38 AM in response to mahooasks

The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10.

They all share similar hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 Ghz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10.

Your iPad 3 is at its highest iOS version. iOS 9.3.5.

Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?

Since iOS 8, older iPad models such as the iPad 2, 3 and 4 have only been getting the most basic of iOS features.

Older iPad users get none of the newest and coolest cutting edge features that newer model iDevices, with better hardware specs, can handle with more aplomb.

Unable to update iPad 3rd gen to iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.