Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rec 709 vs Rec 2020

When I shoot in 4k (which I am doing more and more often) should I concern myself with Rec 709 vs. Rec 2020?

NOTE: I usually impress the 4k footage onto a 1k (1080p) timeline so that I can "punch in."

Last question, when inside the work flow-process do I concern myself with this?

• Shooting (camera)?
  • Ingestion?
  • Editing?
  • Export?

Thanks for your help.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.1), 3.4G Intel i7 32GB RAM FCPX 10.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2016 11:39 AM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2016 10:31 PM in response to dastoelk

No, it has nothing to do with the image resolution. "Wide Gamut" or "Rec 2020" is a soon to be established color space. It is not finalized, nor and industry standard yet, but Apple seems to want to be ready for it. Almost no cameras (besides an iPhone 7) captures in Rec 2020. Do worry about it, configure all your Libraries and Projects to Rec 709, until some future time when Rec 2020 cameras and more importantly delivery options are available.

Nov 1, 2016 12:43 AM in response to dastoelk

No, it has nothing to do with the image resolution.

<cough> well … sort-of it has … just read the specs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020

And both, rec709 and rec2020 are both called 'recommendations' but are used as a 'standard', aren't they? 😉 When Mother BBC uses it …

completely agree: 4k alone doesn't ask for rec2020, nor does a high res alone comes close to it … it's, as you can read in the linked wiki, mainly about representation of colours and dynamics.

When your cam handles 10bit color res, 14 stops DR and your display has some thousands nits - then, rec2020 is urgent. 😉

The ol' rant "Do we need more or better pixels?", rec2020 is about better pixels.

Nov 1, 2016 3:24 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

It's about color space, it's about dynamic range, nothing to do with resolution (frame size). You can have the same "resolution" in both Rec 709 and Rec 2020. Rec 2020 will carry more details in the brightest and darkest areas than Rec 709, simple as that. "Dynamic Range" not "Resolution". My expiration is not contradicted by the Wiki. There you have the facts.

Nov 1, 2016 4:20 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

… nothing to do with resolution (frame size). … "Dynamic Range" not "Resolution". My expiration is not contradicted by the Wiki. There you have the facts.

rec709 is specified for 1080, rec2020 covers '4k/8k' (same source), additionally HFR (120fps, what rec709 didn't), because lately when bit-rates are entering the math, it makes a huge difference how many pixels are involved.

… … anyhow … 😉

Rec 709 vs Rec 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.