Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corp email and IOS 10 cause keyboard and entire device to freeze

I have about 70+ IOS devices (ipads and iphones) in our business that we support and connect to our Corp on premise exchange 2016 server using Activesync. i have upgraded almost everyone in our company to the new iPhone 7 models. All is working great fore everyone except i have two users who are having major issues ever since they upgraded their iphone 6 phones to IOS 10. Since they upgraded the behavior on the phone has been this:

When typing an email in mail, imessage, text message, using whatsapp, safari or anything with a keyboard feature the devices keyboard will randomly freeze. the freeze lasts until you push the sleep button and then log back in to the phone, or sometimes it will even feeze the whole display and lock screen so you are unable to type in the passcode to unlock the device. If the device does not respond then will have to do a hard reset to regain functionality.

steps we have taken to resolve the issue: (No change = problem persists)

1. swap with a different device either iphone 6 or iphone 7 and restore user profile. - No change

2. erase all content and data and setup new device, setting up on icloud and corp email - no change

3. read some threads about it being caused by the keyboard. so we reset dictionary on each device - no change

4. read threads about turning off spell check, predictive text, shortcuts - no change

5. restored device as new iphone and only setup corp email - no change

6. updated to IOS 10.0.3 - no change

7. updated to IOS 10.1.1 - no change

8. Tried on 3 different iPhone 6's and 1 iPhone 7 with the same two user accounts - no change

9. Restored iPhones using settings>general>reset option as well as using itunes - no change

10. Opened a ticket with Apple Support. it has been escalated to an senior advisor, but so just waiting on a response and next steps from them.

Is there anyway to get any sort of diagnostic logs off of these iPhones to hopefully see what is going on with the device when these two users corp email is connected to it?

Originally we thought it was our corporate email causing the issue, but we don't believe that is the problem currently, since it affects the keyboard no matter what application you are using on the phone regardless of mail being open, running in the background or closed. If its bad enough the freezing will actually lock up the phone completely even to the point of if we can put the display into sleep using the button and wake it back up, we sometimes are unable to enter the passcode to unlock the device. Plus this all started after the IOS 10 update when they were both running iPhone 6's.

Any help would be appreciated from any apple engineers or anyone else who has run into this problem.

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 2:18 PM

22 replies

Nov 15, 2016 2:54 AM in response to PinSeeka

We have the same problem with a number of iPhone 7 work devices. We have narrowed the cause down to having an ActiveSync email account on the device. If you have an email account from Work or use Microsoft Outlook online, Office 365, Hotmail, Live email account and have put the email account on your iPhone, try removing that email account and see if you still get the problem.

The turning off of Spell Check should work but that is not a fix, its a work around. If it is the Email account its going to be hard for Apple to give a fix because it might be a Microsoft problem!

Nov 15, 2016 2:22 PM in response to PinSeeka

Apple senior advisor has not provided any help or any sort of steps to resolve this issue, or get logs off of the device.

will have to schedule an appointment at the genius bar to see if they can get to the bottom of this.

will probably have to open a ticket with MS support as well to investigate active sync.

Another thought we have is to possibly delete the users mailbox and create and restore their mail to the new one, but have not gone down this road yet.

In the interim what we have found to fix this issue temporarily is to setup phone as new with no user data or apps on it, then use the Microsoft Outlook app (i hope an apple engineer reads this right about now) and setup our corporate email and everything works. all apps that use the keyboard work without freezing. spellcheck is on. signed into icloud and everything is working as long as we do not use the IOS mail app to setup corporate email. Once you setup corporate email on the IOS mail app, the phone is toast, and you have to start over again by restoring it as a new iPhone. simply removing the email does not restore functionality. we then have to restore their photos, videos, apps manually again which is a PITA!

Nov 18, 2016 6:28 AM in response to PinSeeka

I haven't had a response back from them yet. They did say it could be up to 48 hours which would be this afternoon. I will be chasing them on Monday and will report back any info they give.

By the way Copepod563 this issue isn't iPhone hardware related. It's iOS10 on any iPhone with an ActiveSync (this is what Exchange uses to push email to mobile devices) email account on that seems to be causing the issue.

Nov 22, 2016 11:31 AM in response to PinSeeka

Ok they have come back to me, they acknowledge there is a problem in the logs I sent and advised me that it will most likely be fixed in iOS 10.2. So to test that they told me to join the beta program and install 10.2 on a test device and see if it still has the problem. I have done that and the problem doesn't occur in 10.2.

I have informed them of this and await a response.

They can't give any timeframe however for when 10.2 will be released but at least a fix is on the way.

If you want to test the beta is at beta.apple.com

Corp email and IOS 10 cause keyboard and entire device to freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.