Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi Monitor and Sierra Forgets Window Positions after Wake Up From Sleep

I have a laptop screen and an external monitor. Both are open during my workday. I keep my email and Messages app on my laptop screen and use the 27" monitor as my primary display for everything else. It's basically a multi-monitor setup except my laptop screen is the second monitor.

About once a day, when I leave my Macbook Pro Retina for 30 minutes and it goes to sleep, I wake it up from sleep and all of my windows are moved to my 27" display. I have to drag my email and Messages app back over to the laptop display.

Unless I physically disconnected my monitor, this absolutely never happened in El Capitan or Yosemite and even Mavericks. Every time I work up my Macbook from sleep it would remember where the windows need to be.

Why is this happening with Sierra?

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 11:13 AM

OK

I had this problem this morning.

First you need to open Mission Control and add a new "Spaces" now just called a "Desktops" to both screens. You don't need to use these new Desktops, they just need to be there. With two monitors you end up with "Desktop 1" and "Desktop 2" on the first monitor and "Desktop 3" and Desktop 4" on the second monitor.

Right click the Dock Icon for that application you want to launch in the second screen and choose Option. Now you can assign the Application to always open on the second Desktop.

Without having multiple Desktops established, this option isn't available. It looks like a bug to me.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 11:13 AM in response to plochner

OK

I had this problem this morning.

First you need to open Mission Control and add a new "Spaces" now just called a "Desktops" to both screens. You don't need to use these new Desktops, they just need to be there. With two monitors you end up with "Desktop 1" and "Desktop 2" on the first monitor and "Desktop 3" and Desktop 4" on the second monitor.

Right click the Dock Icon for that application you want to launch in the second screen and choose Option. Now you can assign the Application to always open on the second Desktop.

Without having multiple Desktops established, this option isn't available. It looks like a bug to me.

Oct 8, 2017 2:54 PM in response to ACGarland

and yet another multi monitor bug i discovered.

when moving window between the two monitors, there is a issue with the font in finder and other mac native apps.

it shows on black background. sometimes it stays like this until the whole window is moved completely to one of the monitors. here a screenshot:

i'm just wondering, aren't there any beta testers for the mac os with dual monitors? how can they pass so many bugs related to multi monitor setup?

User uploaded file

Nov 21, 2017 5:08 AM in response to Kyzya

I tried using Stay - Stay on the Mac App Store

It worked for the most part, but I'm opposed to spending $15 on something that shouldn't be needed. Set your windows where you want them, save the settings, and it typically restores them after a restart, or you can manually select to restore their positions. You can also save multiple layouts. A little flakey, though. Give it a shot, might provide a little reflief.

Oct 11, 2017 3:19 AM in response to plochner

wow, this is not good.

i was hoping that High Sierra wouldn't have this problem:(

this is really bad.

is it behaving exactly the same way as sierra with multi monitor setup?

the bug is so obvious! should we start a new thread wich lists all multi monitor problems wich are definitely realted to the same bug, because there were non of them under El Capitan?

my bug list so far:

1. Not remembering the window position on the second monitor only for certain apps like iTunes, Messages, Reminders. Some mac native apps don't have this problem like Maps, Photos, Calendar, Contacts.
  2. Some apps start on the correct (second) Monitor but with the Pixel Height of the first Monitor (Adobe Bridge)
  3. Some dialogue boxes show on the first monitor instead of the last closed position on the second monitor. Tested in Photoshop, Capture One. Strangely in some mac native and adobe apps this is not the case.
  4. After wake up there are all possible graphic glitches like black text on black background in the title bar of windows and apps, trails left by windows while dragging.
  5. When moving windows over different monitors the text in the title bar and side bar sows on black background.
  6. Sometimes after wake up the second monitor shows mirrored pink image of the first monitor (login screen) with some glitches?

Aug 16, 2017 4:53 AM in response to plochner

Laptop on Left, 34 Widescreen center, 4K Dell 24 Vertical on Right

Same exact setup at work and home.

When I take the 2016 MBP home and plug it in with same cable in same thunderbolt slot, 9 times out of 10 what i left on right monitor is now left. They reverse themselves most of the time.

I have to drag the multiple desktops between the sides.

VERY annoying.

Tim

Aug 30, 2017 1:42 AM in response to plochner

Yup same deal here. macOS 10.12.6, three LG 27UD88-W screens in portrait over USB-C on a 2016 MacPro 15". Lots of Xcode, Safari, terminals open, some in full-screen mode, then a couple of times per day rearrangement ****, mostly when plugging in the screens, but sometimes even when just waking from a sleep with no change to screen connections.

Funny how something small but tedious like this has eventually made me dislike the whole laptop. I'd choose rock-solid multi-monitor support over a touch bar without hesitation.

Sep 20, 2017 2:29 AM in response to plochner

I just upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra.

This is really frustrating:(

It always places some of the app windows on the primary Monitor.

As example iTunes starts always on the the Primary Monitor, although i want it to remember the position on the secondary.

Weirdly Adobe Bridge, wich should be on the secondary monitor, starts on it. But because my secondary monitor is rotated vertically, Bridge strarts with the pixel height of the primary monitor instead of filling the whole height of the vertical monitor (and as i left it)???

It also didn't remember the dialogue box positions in Photoshop. Usually i place some of them in a certain position on the secondary monitor for better access, now all of them start on the primary monitor?

Please Apple, can someone look in to it????

Many thanks!

Mladen

Sep 26, 2017 11:23 AM in response to NicJS

Hi Nic,

it is definitely a BUG.

I can try the solution you are suggesting and it will work. but that means that i need to turn ON the option "Displays have separate Space". And i don't like this feature, because of the second menu on top of the second monitor.

Alsy my main concern is with the dialogue boxes in the Applications. I want them to remember their position on the screens and now they load only on the first monitor.

This is not right:(

Sep 26, 2017 11:37 AM in response to laden.m

Yes, I agree, definitely a bug. Just woke up my Sierra system a few minutes ago and same thing happened, everything got pushed over to my primary monitor and I have to take the few minutes and drag stuff back over to the 2nd monitor. I also don't want to use Displays have Separate Spaces option as that effects other things in my system that I don't want.

It doesn't happen all the time, and absolutely never happened in El Cap or Yosemite or Mavericks. In those operating systems I also never had Displays Use Separate Spaces turned on, yet it still worked.

I suspect this is another one of a long list of bugs that Apple will never fix. I'm still waiting for a proper mouse wheel acceleration fix that has been happening since Yosemite.

Oct 7, 2017 11:15 AM in response to plochner

Another Multi Monitor issue with Sierra related to Photoshop. (screen mode change)

When using the second monitor for the photoshop panels, the screen mode change (F key, Standard/Full screen) is very slow.

I first thought that this is something related to Photoshop (cc2017.1.1) Incompatibility with Sierra, but after testing on some other systems and different setups i could pin point the problem: it occurs only when the panels are placed on the second monitor. with all panels turned off (TAB key) or moved over to the main monitor, the screen mode change (F key)is instant. And also: many panels = slow mode change, few panels = fast mode change. Wich makes it another multi monitor issue for Sierra. And the problems with the second monitor are the only ones i got so far with sierra. (Not remembering Window and App positions, Not remembering dialogue box positions and now changing the screen mode in Photoshop???)

tried to change all the settings in mission control.

Is this the right Topic for this? I'm considering to open a new one, because i don't have the issues only after wake up?

I really want Apple to work on this. It is definitely not right?

Could someone with dual monitors try to place as many as possible PS panels on a second monitor and make a test for me? Also it will be interesting if it happens under High Sierra?

Many Thanks!

Oct 8, 2017 5:03 AM in response to laden.m

I recently upgraded to Sierra and discovered this bug 😟

As a workaround I have set up an apple-script that opens and move selected folders to the second screen on startup.

tellapplication "Finder"

activate

open "System:Users:Xavier:Public:MyFolder1"

set position of Finder window 1 to {1925, 131}

open "System:Users:Xavier:Documents:MyFolder2"

set position of Finder window 1 to {2248, 131}

endtell

Oct 8, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Xavier35

it's a mess! can you please try out to load a lot of panels on your secondary monitor (layers, chanels, brush settings, brush presets, history, paths, info, navigator, properties, type settings, paragraph, actions, color swatches, etc.) just about everything you can pack there. and then with a blank new image opened on the main screen try to change the screen mode (F key). and see if you can see any lag, especially when going from full screen to standard mode?

if you see a lag, just turn off thepanels (TAB key) an see if there is a lag again?

many thanks!

Oct 8, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Xavier35

thanks for your time.

I don't know what is your hardware but with my setup i wait up to one second between the screen modes? It is though kind of annoying, especially with few opened images and switching between them:(

i'm on mac pro (late 2013) 64GBram, dual AMD FirePro 500, Dual 27" EIZO CX271.

I just want to find out what exactly is causing this delay. and i'm almost sure that this is the same thing wich is realted to the other multiple monitor issues.

Multi Monitor and Sierra Forgets Window Positions after Wake Up From Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.