Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't sync some albums to my iPhone

Last year I bought a couple of albums, and now, whenever I try to sync my iPhone to my iTunes library, those albums don't sync completely (for example, a 13-item album became a 5-item in my iPhone). I'm currently using the latest iTunes version (12.5.3.17), and I always keep checked the "Sync all items" option when I sync my iPhone.

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 10:30 PM

15 replies

Nov 6, 2016 5:32 AM in response to ukrepublic

Where are the songs now? If you sign into your Apple ID on a new device or computer you can expect to see your past purchases only, unless you've signed up to one of the cloud services. Everything else needs to be synced from an iTunes Library that contains the media. Assuming the files are in your local library connect the device via USB and review your sync selections to include the content that you want, then sync.

tt2

Oct 20, 2017 8:11 AM in response to TheLuckyOne1322

Hi

I've just spent three hours trying to sync one album from itunes on my MacBook Pro to iPhone via USB lead.

The problem for me turned out to be annoyingly simple.

In iTunes Music My Library the album I wanted to sync wasn't CHECKED so the track listings were greyed out.

Right Click on your album and select CHECK SELECTION ( appears under RATING) The track listings should now be in black rather than grey ... and the **** thing will finally sync.

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH !

Nov 4, 2016 10:10 AM in response to TheLuckyOne1322

Hello TheLuckyOne1322,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having issues with syncing some albums to your iPhone. Have you tried manually syncing these particular albums or songs? Take a look at the following support article for instructions: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB

See the section "Sync your content with iTunes".

Best regards.

Nov 4, 2016 1:16 PM in response to TheLuckyOne1322

Try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic syncing behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup if you want to preserve passwords, wi-fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate.

tt2

Nov 6, 2016 3:12 AM in response to ukrepublic

The original question mentions partial transfers which is a symptom others have mentioned. If you explore the contents of the device when connected to iTunes it will typically show some greyed out tracks accompanied by dotted circles. These would appear to be stalled transfers that presumably are supposed to complete on the next sync attempt, however iTunes doesn't seem to manage this. Sometimes selectively removing such items from the sync list, syncing, then adding back again will resolve, but not always. The steps I gave above should work more reliably.

If you want non-purchased music to show on your iPhone without directly syncing to iTunes then you need either iTunes Match or Apple Music. Both have iCloud Music Library where any music added to your iTunes Library becomes available to stream or download to your device over wi-fi, or cellular if you can afford the data, in the same way as your purchase history works now.

tt2

Nov 21, 2016 4:47 AM in response to TheLuckyOne1322

That sounds like a novel issue. I think you'll need the assistance of the iTunes store support staff for that one. Content you download to your local library ought not to be deleted automatically after the download completes. It sounds as if there is a queue of delete operations that is being repeatedly applied instead of being cleared once accomplished.

tt2

Nov 21, 2016 7:37 AM in response to TheLuckyOne1322

You should be able to contact store support via web forms in your purchase history. As a test create a new library, perhaps in a new user profile, and see if you can download the items of interest from your purchase history without them disappearing again. If/when they are deleted do you see those files in the recycle bin? If so drag to the desktop, copy, then paste into <Media Folder>\Automatically Add to iTunes? Are they added to the library? Do they disappear again?

tt2

iTunes won't sync some albums to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.