Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install OS X Snow Leopard Disc on iMac

Hsllo, I'm having an extremely hard time with trying to install this OS on my computer. I have OS X Snow leopard disc and I need to install it onto my imac since I do not have a os system on my computer right now. So I go boot the computer on and immediately press options to open the startup manager. I see the disc "Mac Install DVD 10.6" and I click that to install and then after the Apple logo appears, the loading bar only goes half way but then stops and takes me to OS X Utilities over and over again no matter how many times I try to install the disc It would load half way, stop and take me to the same place.

Now I tried doing start up disc and pressing the install DVD logo to make the computer boot to the cd and even tried restarting the computer and press "C" to boot to the cd disc but nothing works.

Please can somebody help me? I have a mid 2010 21.5 inch iMac computer. I need help installing my operating system back.

I hope this is not hardware issue related?

Thank you!

VIN, iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 11:46 PM

18 replies

Nov 3, 2016 12:15 AM in response to MiiSzAshley

It maybe taking you to Disk Utilities because you need to format(reformat) the hard drive, first before you can, actually, install the OS.

Format the drive as OS X extended format ( journaled) with a GUID partition scheme.

Also,what version of OS X 10.6 is the disk?

For that year and model iMac, you need OS X 10.6.3 or 10.6.4.

Good Luck!

Nov 3, 2016 12:11 PM in response to MichelPM

OK well I tried doing what you said and I went to Macintosh HD and choose OS X extended format journaled but I did not see an option to choose GUID partition scheme...

so I went ahead and erased and tried to install the cd again by holding down the option key after rebooting which took me to start up disc manager, I choose MAC OS X Istall DVD and my computer just completely froze. It wouldn't start up or anything.

And the install disc did not specifically state what version of 10.6 it is, it just says Version 10.6?

Nov 3, 2016 12:37 PM in response to MiiSzAshley

Your year and Mac models needs an install disc that has and states on the disc, OS X 10.6.3 or OS X 10.6.4.

In order to determine which OS X 10.6 version disk you need, you need to get the proper system install discs from Apple by calling Apple at

1-800-MYAPPLE and ask for software sales.

You will need your iMacs serial number which is located under the bottom of the iMac's support base.

You will need this serial number so Apple can issue you the correct original OS X 10.6 version for your model iMac.

The cost is $20 shipping included.

Good Luck!

Can't Install OS X Snow Leopard Disc on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.