Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Verification Code Loop?

When I try to access my movies on my AppleTV it's asking me to sign in. I sign in with my email and password, and once I enter the code that was sent to my phone and hit submit, it takes me right back to signing in again. It's an endless loop that I can't get out of, and it's preventing me from watching my movies!

Posted on Nov 3, 2016 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 3:44 AM

Hi. This post Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly describes a procedure that works. You prepare the password, request a code on the phone, append the code and send the password.

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 3:43 PM in response to Amburgler

I had the same problem with the endless loop. I tried appending the code to my password, but that did not work.

I found the fix that worked for me on another thread: before going through the two-factor sign-in process on my AppleTV, I had to sign out of my iTunes account on my AppleTV. (I was still signed in from before I adopted the two-factor authentication process.)

Once I signed out, I then signed back in by entering ONLY my password on the password screen and then entered the six-digit verification code on its separate screen. Worked on the first try. Not sure what generation my AppleTV is.

I read that for some older generations or for those running older software, there is no separate verification code screen. In that case, I suppose one would have to go the route of appending the six-digit verification code to one’s password screen.

Keep in mind the six-digit verification code expires quickly after you press the “ok” button beneath it on your phone, iPad, or whatever other device you generate it on.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck and sorry for the long post.

Nov 19, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Agree with Winston however let me add this as it was my experience... IF you have two step verification ON, AND you have just upgraded or reset your older Apple TV - you will find that you are in an endless loop when you try to sign in to Apple TV as it will continually prompt you to enter the verification code after your password, like if your password is "whatever" and the code you are given is 123 456, you need to enter "whatever123456". You will find that this does not work. You will try many time and likely lose hair as your guests slowly walk away in fear the night will be over before they see their movie, tv, show, hear some tunes, etc. In my experience I had to go to my Mac, disable the two step verification on iCloud, enter new security questions etc, to formally stop the two-step verify process. Next return to Apple TV and sign in with your normal iCloud password, i.e, like if password was "whatever" enter that. It will be accepted and you will be able to watch Westworld or your iTunes purchase etc. After your guests have left or the next day go back to your Mac and turn two-step verification ON, now you will see a warning that states for some of your older devices you will need to add a verification code to the password. Later on if Apple TV asks for your password and gives you a verification code you will now be able to enter your regular password + the six digit verify code, like "whatever123456".

Apple TV Verification Code Loop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.