Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop doesn't start

Apple Remote Desktop doesn't start after sierra update. We tried with same problems on different client (macbook pro, imac and mac pro)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 3, 2016 11:55 PM

9 replies

Feb 16, 2017 2:49 PM in response to andreafromsalerano

I've had the same issue on a new 2016 iMac running the latest version of Sierra. Sometimes ARD 3.8 launches fine, other times the app just becomes unresponsive, which after multiple tries, sometimes works.

I've gone into my user's library folder and removed any plists, etc related to com.apple.RemoteDesktop files. Even after all that it still behaves the same.

Something in addition that I've noticed since using Sierra with ARD is the inability to use the "Change Client Settings..." options in ARD. After trying all various combinations of options within that area, I always end up getting the error message from ARD, "An unexpected error occurred: the required components were not found. The Application appears to be installed incorrectly." -- this after a few attempts at reinstalling from the AppStore with the afore mentioned procedures.

Nov 8, 2016 4:29 AM in response to andreafromsalerano

"Apple Remote Desktop doesn't start" is a bit vague. May be you experiment the same issue than I do.

What I noticed is that Remote Desktop.app hangs when launched if I have switched users. Its main window doesn't appear. Force quitting it does not help.

Remote Desktop works flawlessly until if you quit it then switch users, the next launch may (will) hang.

The workaround I have found is this (requires to be administrator):

Launch Terminal, then type:

sudo pkill -u -2 ARDAgent

and type your password as requested.

Then, Remote Desktop.app will launch (or, if launched and hung, its main window will appear).

YMMV

Apple Remote Desktop doesn't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.